API: Custom Blocks

I can confirm that 1.7 and 1.8 does not crash when blocks are their.
I loaded a 1.8 snapshot world that includes 1.8 blocks. Loaded it on the server and it looked normal, The force field did not render and the new stone block just rendered as stone. But using the 1.8 protocol patch from spigot when using a 1.8 client to connect to the 1.7 server the blocks looked and worked just like 1.8 even though the server was on 1.7.

It seems that Minecraft does not remove blocks but trys to handle them now.

1 Like

what about new blocks, like sponge and slimeBlock?

Might be slow on the server’s end, but what if the serve checked if the client has requested mod (send a custom payload packet or something and expect a response). If it does, send custom blocks, else (vanilla) send a default vanilla block such as stone to the client.

Because Sponge is based off of forge, that will already be implemented in the handshake. :)

1.8 adds in alternative textures for blocks so you can have one that looks normal and another that is a copy of a quarry from buildcraft but according to minecraft they are both iron blocks

3 Likes

Thank you for this thread. This is an insane idea. Why not make a forge launcher? With that you can join every modded server using Sponge. It works the same like a server texturepack. It downloads when you join. (Sadly this can take a LONG time).

1 Like

If only there were a way to force clients to download custom textures stored on the server for specific block id’s. Like, have a different log texture, and the meta (persistant metadata) be 20, and it be log:20 specific. I guess this would be most like the way (Just an example) Garry’s Mod does this.

I love the idea and I think this is one thing that is missing since a long time.

Spoutcraft is a system that does what is described. I bring this up mostly for historical purposes

1 Like

I want it! I want it! Let’s gooo!

1 Like

You could use server resource packs. That way when a player joined they would get a message asking if they wanted to download it.

Any update to this?? Really intrested in this for lkng time now !

1 Like