Config Files: YAML vs JSON vs something else?

Yeah, I recently loved using yml, until recently, users of my plugins continually struggled with advanced configurations, most of the time it was due to indentation. I believe HOCON won’t care about indentation which should make it easier for users.

Exactly. I really like how clean YAML is, but in terms of power- compare it to plain JSON and I would prefer JSON. HOCON is the middle. They combined the power of plain JSON and readability of YAML. bootyful.

I think, if developers write an informational guide about writing config in JSON format, anybody can use JSON config

JSON. Position-dependent notation is bad and should be avoided, in my opinion.

Both! :smiley: Add support for YAML and JSON configs for flexibility.

I vote for Json but for a public plugin we need to use some simple configuration system like Yaml.

I also remembered HOCON will be used …

I disagree; we don’t need to support multiple configuration systems. That creates multiple points of maintenance that is unwarranted.

I prefer YAML… For me it is much more intuitive, it may contain comments and it has’nt brackets … Yes, ‘compatible with Minecraft API’… But I still prefer YALM

For me, JSON is much harder to write than YAML. However, if you choose JSON, please, make an online tool to verify the config file or even a built-in system which is called every time when plugin loads config file and writes to log possible errors without clearing file contents.

XML, maybe? TAML?

1 Like

HOCON has already been decided on.

Oh god not XML… That does not make it more readable… LOL

HOCON has been decided (AFAIK).

1 Like

Had to go digging up info about HOCON.

HOCON is the best option IMO. It’s been discussed in several places including on this PR

After looking at the spec and other resources, I agree. It’s very much like JSON, just easier to read and work with. And it looks to avoid the sins of YAML, which is all to the good in my estimation.

This has already been discussed to great detail and HOCON was decided upon. Work is already being done in this direction and backtracking to pick some other config format would just waste time. Why not look into HOCON and see what advantages it has to offer? As for the development team’s reasoning, this will be made more clear as time moves on. They had good reasons for choosing this format. This topic should be closed as to prevent further misinformation.

Forge is also using HOCON already, so that saves us some library duplication (although JSON is also available).

oooh…HOCON… im liking HOCON… quite similair to a gradle bildscript…