Husk vs. Sponge

I know it’s not a repo. I was showing that they are advertising an API

1 Like

Hello everyone, this is my response to the claims made by @TelFiRE about Husk, and the Husk project in general

Claims:

1. Husk is ready now
  2. Husk has the full backing of Microsoft and Mojang
  3. The developers of Husk are being paid full time to develop Husk
  4. Husk has “A wealth of plugins that already work right away”

Responses:

1. Husk is currently in “Closed testing”, and has no source code nor API downloadable anywhere, and the only tangable evidence is a screenshot of a cmd window
  2. If Microsoft or Mojang is backing Husk, they have made no indication as to such
  3. The developers of Husk are completly unknown, there is no list anywhere, and there is no evidence that there is money to start with (see #2)
  4. Unless all those plugins are also in “Closed testing”, or unannounced, there are none. (not including all the bukkit plugins that could work using their “Experimental” Bukkit compat layer)

Other points:

1. The Husk website has links on the bottom of the page that say “Developer Center”, “Source Repository”, and “Husk User Documentation”, none of which point to anything
  2. Husk claims to be open source, yet there is nothing at all available, no source, binary, or even API available
  3. There is no Fourm or issue tracker–which I guess wouldn’t be necessary considering no one can test it
  4. The company name is Enterprise Minecraft, and the website mentions a Signature Scanning Technology, both of which ring alarm bells because they are often used to make things sound bigger and more special than they really are
  5. The logo in the bottom right of the Husk website says “Enterprise Minecraft, a division of OpenPlay”, OpenPlay–and thus Enterprise Minecraft–doesn’t seem to exist, except for a library developed by Apple under the same name
  6. There is no documentation whatsoever on the Husk website
  7. The only places I’ve been able to find Husk mentioned is on reddit, the Husk website, the Sponge forums, and here

I don’t have anything against Husk itself, but there seems to be a lack of evidence for its existence and authenticity.

I looked into this because of the ferocity of @TelFiRE’s defense, and the good points–many of which I stole to make this post–made by many of the other forum members.

If anyone can enlighten me as to why any of these points is false, I would be glad to hear it.

7 Likes

And the minecraft monday show.

If husk is really existing and if the “facts” you postet here are true, there is still one thing because Husk will never be my favorite: It is commercial. Sponge is Open Source and awesome - something Husk will may never be! Sponge has a community, Sponge is loved by the community - Husk has nothing of both. SO WHICH IS BETTER NOW??? ^^

• Morph

I created a poll to see the community opinion

(instead every user posts here xD)

PS.:

Husk dev here. I’ve never heard of sigscanning algorithms used as a buzzword.

I was referring to the use of Enterprise _____, and Signature _____ Technology.

I don’t like the Minecraft Monday show.

I don’t like it at all.

But yeah, I don’t think there has been much evidence that Husk has backing from Mojang, lol. What, did Grum/Dinnerbone say: “lol okay, go ahead”?

2 Likes

About the Monday Show: The guys accent/lisp drives me up the wall, so I feel ya. And he doesn’t really seem to have any clue what he’s talking about in terms of the APIs.

Also, in @InvokeStatic’s thread, he states that was false information spread by @TelFiRE, just trying to start stuff presumably.

1 Like

Just for the record. Husk has nothing to do with Minecraft/Mojang/Microsoft in any way. Some people seem to have figured that our already but others have not (in this thread and other threads). :smile:

Looks like : http://enterpriseminecraft.com/
Husk left the Game

2 Likes

I knew it was a lie…

1 Like

A big lie…

3 Likes

I don’t think it was a lie. I just guess it was very exciting for them, but after a while it wasn’t fun anymore. A bit the same like throwing yourself on a bukkit plugin and 2 days later bukkit falls.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s another good possibility.

I’m honestly not surprised. Sounded like just a plan all along.

2 Likes

Their website is back up. Guess they just had some issues, like Sponge did today :wink:

2 Likes

I took a look at husk’s Web page, and honestly it looks like an empty shell with nothing actually behind it. I find it interesting that husk is a part of the EnterpriseMinecraft name, mainly because EnterpriseMinecraft calls itself “an organization independent of Mojang that specializes in development of enterprise-level applications running on the JVM for the game Minecraft”. I have a couple comments about this quote.

First, as a novice java developer, I struggle to think of anyone with a moderate programming knowledge base saying “running on the JVM for the game Minecraft” other than some scrubby 14 year old who wants to act like he knows programming (mind that I call myself a novice). It just doesn’t sound right the way that is worded.

Second, where is anything else you have done? The quote, namely, “specializes in development of enterprise-level applications” implies that they are presently at the quoted level as an organization. Where are these applications? The only thing you have is a branch for husk and a literal nothing else on your Web page.

And aside from the quote, I also want to confirm what others have said about the links, they’re all broken, probably on purpose. They’re link objects, yes, however there is no url on the other side to follow.

Another thing I picked up on as I was typing is that people above are saying this is closed source, and they are calling themselves “enterprise-level”. While there is no outright declaration that they are closed source, and therefore no guarantee that the speculation is correct, one of the links (broken of course) at the bottom of the page is “source repository”. Just felt like putting the open-closed speculation and source repository broken link side by side, do with that what you will.

Whollistically no conclusions can be made and be definitive. However based on what I have seen I believe that this whole husk thing in its current state is nothing more than a publicity stunt. If they want people (or me at least) to be convinced that they are more than a 14 y/o with rich parents and a building-block-web-development kit, they should really, really, make some steps to prove legitimacy.

Edit: fixed typo, gdi autocorrect.

2 Likes

Hmmm, issues lol. I don’t know if they catch a lot of traffic.

Husk joined the game

@InvokeStatic Could you please explain EnterpriseMinecraft’s business relationship with “OpenPlay” as stated on the website: brand-logo-ft-sm.png

I am unable to find any information about this, nor can anyone else

I can’t find any relevant information using Google
openplay
openplay league
Image search

Edit: As quoted on their 503 error page
OpenPlay League LLC

3 Likes