Husk will be much better than sponge

from a SEO perspective, it stands like so:
Husk:0 - Sponge:1

from an open-source point of view:

how about the communities?

This is all from what I have gathered, after doing some research. Some server owners don’t look as deep as I do. Again, this is merely my view and opinion, like @DarkArcana said.

considering someone tried to buy an island, that may not be as far off as you might think. xD

–EDIT–
got a like from support. I feel pretty now. :heartpulse:

16 Likes

Why do you think Husk beats Sponge? What do they have we haven’t?

Wow, have you even looked at husk? Sponge is better in pretty much every way, husk doesn’t even have a forum, or if it does it is not plainly obvious to me. Also, lets see, sponge has quite a few developers from bukkit who spent the last two freakin years working on a Minecraft API, certainly they can’t compete with whoever the Husk team is

(edit: much of the info I listed about Husk is not true, I was misinformed)
A working product for starters…
The backing of Mojang and Microsoft… People being actually paid to work on it full time… A wealth of plugins that already work right away… Could go on

Also, both APIs have crappy placeholder sites. I don’t see why this has any relevance to how good the APIs will be. I’m not saying Sponge can’t do a good job or maybe even do some things better, but Husk will do it faster because Husk is funded.

I mean as soon as I saw the Husk announce it was clear what was going to happen. Are you guys seriously so glued to Sponge after just a few weeks that you’re going to ignore reality for it?
I appreciate Sponge’s efforts but it’s never a good idea to do something like this in the middle of a crisis, everyone should have waited for the dust to settle. There is no reason for a massive community undertaking like this, it will just split all the pl devs in half and result in worse servers for everyone.

1 Like

Can you provide a link to the information where it is stated that Mojang and Microsoft are supporting Husk?

5 Likes

Are you just here to troll? You started a topic stating Husk was going to be better. Then you debate on what sponge should use for a CMS (content management system) in a childish manor. Now you come back again stating that Husk will be better. Please quit going after people personally in your posts, you look down on others opinions yet seem to believe your opinion should be help with respect. If you are not here to contribute to the project and better it for the future while being mature in the process, we do not need this here. Thank you.

2 Likes

Well mister @TelFiRE from reading most of your posts on various threads it would seem that you quite enjoy playing devil’s advocate (that or you are just a very cynical person; I can’t tell), and although some may see that as offensive or trolly I can respect someone who is willing to voice an unpopular opinion in order to make the rest of us think more carefully about our currently set opinions. My problem here lies in the delivery, where in I believe you are losing this target audience to aggravation, by which you do not cause anyone any logical thought, but only frustration. So my advice to you would be to audit your delivery of these thought provoking oppositionary opinions such as to avoid aggravation in your audience and allow them to properly consider what you have to say without being blinded by an anger toward your troll like delivery.

Husk… is ridiculous.

1. None of the links on the Husk-Website are clickable.
  2. There’s no information about the developers
  3. There’s no information about social network pages
  4. There’s no GitHub
  5. The reddit (which I found randomly) says “Don’t downvote based on opinion.” and what about up-voting? “Upvote based on opinion!” right?

May everyone build up their own opinion about Husk.

5 Likes

Alright, so this won’t go too far offtopic, visit this thread for discussions about Husk vs Sponge.

You know guys, there is a lesson somewhere at the last part of this thread… (and it is slightly off-topic).

Something called Husk is judged based on quality and quantity of information available to the public. I had mentioned this on few occasions and tried to point out how important is to deal with the community and project foundation work at the very beginning, even before the takeover from Microsoft.

I see no reason and justification to be so secretive or uninterested in that part of the project/community. Yes, coding is something that the founders and the most prominent members are interested in the most, but neglecting everything else for no obvious reasons helps situations like this (in relation to Husk).

From what I saw in the posts of @sk89q and others, I don’t think that they are uninterested completely at this time, it seems that they have more important and interesting things to do (namely, programming).
I don’t think that you would feel threatened if you would allow someone, who is not (primarily) interested in programming, to step in and help you and us come up with a few pivotal pieces of information about what this endeavor is all about.
Try to define what should be the mission behind this project, objectives, milestones. What are the constraints? Which are the “red lines” that will not be crossed? Which are the areas for help, support, improvements, suggestions, etc?
Who is the “official” contact for this project and for which topics?
Maybe a little bit about history, present and plans for the future (high-level overview).
At the end, you can make a summary about all the “technical mumbo-jumbo”, as it will be perceived by many, I believe (chosen approaches to API, systems for continuous integration, source code management, ticketing, forum, etc.). :slight_smile:

Having this established you would be providing sufficient information for all the stakeholders (future supporters, programmers, plugin developers, server admins, lurkers, competitors, but also Mojang and Microsoft), which in turn would guarantee that we have left all the necessary doors open. The stakeholders would understand where is this project coming from and where would it like to go, and could make their standpoints based on their interests. Therefore, instead of being concerned and thinking if the project could be hostile or ignorant towards their interests, they could have enough information to “make the next step” whichever that might be (words of support, concerns, proposals, etc.).

I know I am still beating a dead horse but some habits are hard to exterminate. :blush:

Why? Simple answer. They make big claims and prove nothing.

2 Likes

I know. Completely ignore the Husk part from it. It is used to draw attention to Sponge and how it might be treated as Husk in the eyes of some other community/individual/company.
My point is that we are missing the opportunity to establish some elementary things for this project, because it is not yet being considered a big priority.

A banal and possibly stupid example would be the following. What if in the near future Mojang or Microsoft decide to approach one of the existing modding communities/projects/companies/individuals and offer a kind of a relationship which would guarantee that there will be no attacks from Microsoft/Mojang, that they will share from their side the mappings (or whatever you find important and helpful), as long as certain rules are followed (example: copyright, licensing, advertisements, brand endorsements, etc.).
Would they feel more relaxed to approach a community who stated their intentions openly since the beginning, or would they start contacting each one and do interviews with all of them, until the find the one that they like the most?

Don’t bother answering to the hypothetical questions in the stupid example from above

Just imagine if you would be in the position that you want or need to defend Sponge somehow. Would Sponge “look” better, more serious, more professional with some elementary information/decisions/direction provided since the beginning?
At this moment, the “official identity” of Sponge and Husk (and whichever other project/initiative might exist there) simply is not yet established. That was the only parallel that I wanted to make with my first comment.

1 Like

Hmm… there are some pretty good documents that cover the nature of the Sponge project, document the current state of the API and general affairs, document the lead developers of each API part, and also document plugins that are going to be ported over. The issues website and github are pretty transparent about where the current activity is.

I am a little puzzled on what more we expect of the project leads at this point, unless we want them to spend more time writing forum messages than actually moving the project forward.

Jim

3 Likes

Take my money :slight_smile:

I will try to emphasize from your message what I perceive as really being done and available so far:

• something about API;
  • more things about API;
  • something about plugins;
  • something about code (github).

If you take a look at my perception, you will notice that there are 100% things related to programming. Unless I dig for information in the forums, there are no official statements and explanations what is this project, why it exists, why is it different, what can we expect, etc.

More or less this leads to the point I am trying to make but, obviously, fail to do so (probably language barrier).
Project leads in this project are actually programmers. Project should be much more than its programming part. That is my point.
I do not expect from programmers to lose the time in writing forum messages. Quite the contrary. The project should establish a small group of people (2, 3 maybe) who will work on these questions. I saw some people here, from English-speaking countries, mentioning mission and vision, etc, but they were quickly silenced.
They, or someone else eligible could help prepare a proposal for these things and submit it for approval to the project leads, or whomever else appropriate.

1 Like

That’s not quite true.

This is linked from the home page: Sponge FAQ - Google Docs

I’m not the one personally attacking anyone. I shared my opinions, apparently they are unpopular. That’s your problem. You are the ones being disrespectful and rude.

So you state Husk is not your own. Fair enough.

We do as well. :) …on the other hand, who are you to “appreciate” from that point of view?

You know, I must sincerely ask you…

Also, has there been any confirmation either way whether Dinnerbone will update it himself? or is it really just completely dead due to the DCMA?

Moved off topic posts from another thread to this thread.

My final take on this before I stop replying or worrying about this:

A little competition between competing standards is A GOOD THING. Forcing everyone on the same standard is a recipe for mediocrity. Let them do what they want. Husk can be and do whatever it will be. Unless @TelFiRE is officially representing Husk, then I don’t think his words are more than his opinion. He is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else here. Mojang and Microsoft can support whatever they want, be it Husk, Sponge, or any other system. That doesn’t hinder our progress here even if it might help another project’s progress. This whole thing has become a giant flame war bashing Husk. When Sponge started out, we had little to nothing to show for our work. If we got hit this hard, do you think we would have survived confidently? People can be really brutal.

Take some of this into consideration before jumping on the hate train. Internet rule number one. Don’t be a dick.

16 Likes