Husk will be much better than sponge

Why? Simple answer. They make big claims and prove nothing.

2 Likes

I know. Completely ignore the Husk part from it. It is used to draw attention to Sponge and how it might be treated as Husk in the eyes of some other community/individual/company.
My point is that we are missing the opportunity to establish some elementary things for this project, because it is not yet being considered a big priority.

A banal and possibly stupid example would be the following. What if in the near future Mojang or Microsoft decide to approach one of the existing modding communities/projects/companies/individuals and offer a kind of a relationship which would guarantee that there will be no attacks from Microsoft/Mojang, that they will share from their side the mappings (or whatever you find important and helpful), as long as certain rules are followed (example: copyright, licensing, advertisements, brand endorsements, etc.).
Would they feel more relaxed to approach a community who stated their intentions openly since the beginning, or would they start contacting each one and do interviews with all of them, until the find the one that they like the most?

Donā€™t bother answering to the hypothetical questions in the stupid example from above

Just imagine if you would be in the position that you want or need to defend Sponge somehow. Would Sponge ā€œlookā€ better, more serious, more professional with some elementary information/decisions/direction provided since the beginning?
At this moment, the ā€œofficial identityā€ of Sponge and Husk (and whichever other project/initiative might exist there) simply is not yet established. That was the only parallel that I wanted to make with my first comment.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦ there are some pretty good documents that cover the nature of the Sponge project, document the current state of the API and general affairs, document the lead developers of each API part, and also document plugins that are going to be ported over. The issues website and github are pretty transparent about where the current activity is.

I am a little puzzled on what more we expect of the project leads at this point, unless we want them to spend more time writing forum messages than actually moving the project forward.

Jim

3 Likes

Take my money :slight_smile:

I will try to emphasize from your message what I perceive as really being done and available so far:

• something about API;
  • more things about API;
  • something about plugins;
  • something about code (github).

If you take a look at my perception, you will notice that there are 100% things related to programming. Unless I dig for information in the forums, there are no official statements and explanations what is this project, why it exists, why is it different, what can we expect, etc.

More or less this leads to the point I am trying to make but, obviously, fail to do so (probably language barrier).
Project leads in this project are actually programmers. Project should be much more than its programming part. That is my point.
I do not expect from programmers to lose the time in writing forum messages. Quite the contrary. The project should establish a small group of people (2, 3 maybe) who will work on these questions. I saw some people here, from English-speaking countries, mentioning mission and vision, etc, but they were quickly silenced.
They, or someone else eligible could help prepare a proposal for these things and submit it for approval to the project leads, or whomever else appropriate.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not quite true.

This is linked from the home page: Sponge FAQ - Google Docs

Iā€™m not the one personally attacking anyone. I shared my opinions, apparently they are unpopular. Thatā€™s your problem. You are the ones being disrespectful and rude.

So you state Husk is not your own. Fair enough.

We do as well. :) ā€¦on the other hand, who are you to ā€œappreciateā€ from that point of view?

You know, I must sincerely ask youā€¦

Also, has there been any confirmation either way whether Dinnerbone will update it himself? or is it really just completely dead due to the DCMA?

Moved off topic posts from another thread to this thread.

My final take on this before I stop replying or worrying about this:

A little competition between competing standards is A GOOD THING. Forcing everyone on the same standard is a recipe for mediocrity. Let them do what they want. Husk can be and do whatever it will be. Unless @TelFiRE is officially representing Husk, then I donā€™t think his words are more than his opinion. He is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else here. Mojang and Microsoft can support whatever they want, be it Husk, Sponge, or any other system. That doesnā€™t hinder our progress here even if it might help another projectā€™s progress. This whole thing has become a giant flame war bashing Husk. When Sponge started out, we had little to nothing to show for our work. If we got hit this hard, do you think we would have survived confidently? People can be really brutal.

Take some of this into consideration before jumping on the hate train. Internet rule number one. Donā€™t be a dick.

16 Likes