Isn't Dinnerbone updating Bukkit to 1.8?

He would have to rewrite craftbukkit from scratch in order to do any form of updating. I do wonder what will come of the Minecraft API now that everything has kind of been shaken up on Mojang’s side.

2 Likes

@Xxen, @GameplayJDK

lol, that isn’t actually Dinnerbone.

Look at what it says in his profile.

1 Like

I disagree completely

Impressination, what IS that?

2 Likes

Maybe Impressination where you impersonate someone and try to impress them at the same time.

I bet chicks dig it.

2 Likes

And whoever banned him, it’s “impersonation”

im·per·son·a·tion
– an act of pretending to be another person for the purpose of entertainment or fraud.

2 Likes

I’m sure when dinnerbone originally said that he wasn’t considering that all of the DMCA stuff would happen.

3 Likes

Dinnerbone can do the update but he cannot distribute it as it stands. The license was never valid with CraftBukkit to begin with so even if he were to go in and remove all DMCA-related code, the license is still invalid.

1 Like

Wrong. He was banned for Impressination. Not Impersonation. Completely different.

2 Likes

I kind of doubt Dinnerbone can update all of bukkit to 1.8… by himself…

Pretty much every developer from bukkit quit if you go to their front page

…and, to my knowledge, more than a couple dev’s from bukkit are actually working on sponge now…

So, the way I see it: sponge is picking up where bukkit left off. :slight_smile:
(Not to mention all of the legal issues surrounding bukkit… ech! I wouldn’t touch that with a ten-foot pole if I were dinnerbone…)

1 Like

At this point Dinnerbone will do whatever MS tells him to do…

1 Like

I wonder if he’ll try to do a bin patch like what spigot has done for their server.

My language if choice is not Java so forgive me if my questions below displays my ignorance.

Microsoft has a lot of Free to use SDK that contain the compiled libraries of functions.

The parts of Bukkit that consisted of decompiled and de-obfuscated Minecraft server code could be written by Mojang to include missing Bukkit API functions then, released as a Free To use and distribute SDK by Mojang. The SDK would contain the compiled server and documentation for the API.

Wouldn’t that satisfy the legal problems presented in the DMCA notice? No Minecraft source code would be used, only the SDK server/library file.

Doubtful.

Possible…but doubtful.
He works for Microsoft now. Who knows how they will want him spending his time. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Bukkit =/= CraftBukkit || Bukkit =/= Spigot

@ColonelHedgehog @MatthewEnderle I guess people can’t ever make typos. The letter i happens to be right next to o on my keyboard. Shame on me for tapping through that so quickly on something I wasn’t even worried about.

Anyway, I fixed it to now say “impersonation”. Because I’m sure both of you are perfect. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well put. I wouldn’t hold your breath. As a community we must push ever onwards. Sponge is doing just that.

1 Like

I’m more than 100% sure that he will not, he said that before the licence issues and now that they are moving to work under microsoft, they hace a lot more to do.

I wouldn’t be too sure on that if I was you, look at project pore(https://bitbucket.org/mproncace/pore/src) and CanaryMod-BukkitAPI (https://github.com/LexMinecraft/CanaryMod-BukkitAPI)

No He Probably Wont, Just Look at the daily life of Mojang.

Meanwhile At Mojang:

10 Likes