Sponge Hangout Server?

Don’t forget:

• Spamming
  • Advertising
  • Stealing (Some servers consider it separate from grief)
  • Lieing; It’s the best when you saw them do something and they still think they can argue that they didn’t
  • The constant “Can I have (op/creative/admin/ect)?”
  • 9 year old 1337 DDoS hack master wizzard pro
  • DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA.

I could go on and on. I’ve been on this scene way too long.

4 Likes

That’d be my suggestion. That pretty much does exactly what the OP asked/suggested, and I myself would be interested in a new haunt.

Lets not forget these kinds of people:

• The obvious hacker
  • The rich showoff (likes to throw diamonds around)
  • The guy who leaves hundreds of redstone clocks running
  • The stalker that follows you around the server asking for free stuff
  • The guy who randomly kills players when they are AFK

You get the idea.

3 Likes

All of those are the reasons the following video became my inspiration. BANNED. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jxjq_umZC4

3 Likes

Dang I have sinned, when I was a kid I kept auctioning 2880 slimeballes because I had a DSU(chest that holds 2 000 000 000 from the same items) full off it.

Pls forgive me xd!

I’m hoping to get chat handling merged into the Sponge implementation so that some player interaction can work. I think the server should verify that you’re a member on the forums somehow.

If that’s possible, that’d be awesome.

Should be possible if I can get a kludged implementation of the existing api to work for the server. It could also be done manually by an admin or automatically by parsing the log and I don’t know what interface it would use to interact with the forums

That’s the hangup right there, unfortunately.

Well discourse has an API so it wouldn’t be hard to interact with. I just don’t know what to do to verify it. Use an account and send it a PM with a code only given to the player?

I don’t think Factions would be hard to setup/manage.
I setup my server’s factions within an hour.
But perhaps vanilla survival, if it was easier.
I know an idling server was what the OP asked, but I just feel like something to do, like survival or factions, would make it more fun for the community to hang out.

Pass.

I think so. Have a forums account that’s reserved for only checking that, and have it send the player a PM through that account with a randomly created string.

So you’re talking about a Discourse bot?

I guess you could call it that. Yeah, I think.

Why not just a vanilla forge server? :wink: In all honesty though, I don’t think it would get used much past the 3rd day… I can only see it really being used for chatting… but we have IRC for that. I think it’s a nice idea, but not viable… unless it was community managed… I’d rather have the development team focussed on getting an API ready than moderating a server. That’s just my two cents.

You’re all free to hang out on my server if you’d like :slight_smile: - Click my ugly mug for details.

Just a quick note @GeekyServers and @MrMysteri0us, from what I remember posting IP’s isn’t allowed anymore unless its in a PM and the user wants it or whatever. So I would recommend removing them… (sorry @MrMysteri0us :frowning: )

I think linking in the profile is OK. sk89q is doing it, in any case :L

This will probably matter more when we’ve got a version of the implementation to actually test. But hopefully it could be used as a way to test out bugs and provide a closely logged and monitored environment for at least a handful of people. At any rate I’ll throw something up like that when Forge 1.8 is out.