Sponge Server?

Hello,

I have been navigating around the forums, Github repo, FAQ, etc and cannot seem to find the way in which you create a server running Sponge. I am aware that Sponge is still in the early stages of it’s development but I am still curious as to if this is possible. Any reply will be much appreciated :).

Thanks in advance,
~Treblue

Never mind this post, I am up-to-date now :wink:.

Sponge is like a week old. It don’t work!

2 Likes

If I’m not wrong, we are still in the planning phase.

6 Likes

That’s what I thought. Thanks so much for the quick responses.

It will be a forge modification. Like Bukkitforge, but with an better license.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Nope, not possible. Not now, not for a while. Maybe you should have browsed around a tad more, lel.

2 Likes

You could build the binaries from source yourself. The first steps are described at https://github.com/SpongePowered/Sponge/wiki/Setting-up-your-Workspace. If you don’t know how to set up the tools mentioned there, you’re probably better off waiting for the first official versions.

1 Like

Your completely right :). For some reason I didn’t put two and two together.

No worries, they will be the first to let us know the instant it is released. Just watch for it, and enjoy the popcorn.

1 Like

Great idea, this will be very useful to construct early snapshot versions of the Sponge API and Forge mod itself.

Alright, will do :).

If you are familiar with the Forge mod workflow, you can get a Sponge server and client running in a few minutes. What I read in the forums, it’s not recommended to start working on plugins yet because of the unstable API.

I stumbled upon a little quirk in the setup of my workspace, you can read about it at Setup of workspace failed: "assets/indexes/1.7.10.json File not found" - #6 by plzHelp

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks for helping me get started :).

When sponge is at a better state, I hope you will just created your server like a .jar, like bukkit. (Yes I said the B Word :stuck_out_tongue:) Don’t try running a sponge server, it is currently NOT stable .

1 Like

Ok, I’ll keep that in mind.

I don’t believe it’ll be set up quite like Bukkit. Sponge will be a forge mod, so it’ll likely install into a forge server’s mods folder.

1 Like