Sponge Should Have a GUI

Again, that’s not the case with all users, or maybe even most. Most users probably won’t know the difference.

I’d agree that it’s more a matter of personal opinion of the one operating the server. After all, you could be really good at administration and leading a server team but not be so superb with a standard console. Client-side though, it all looks the same in the end.

Seeing that as a large and official GUI seems out of the question at the moment, I think it’d be neat if someone developed a clientside mod dedicated to being an in-game Sponge GUI; input all the login info and such and you can have all your configuration options and console at hand right in the game. That seems a bit ambitious, and only useful for anyone who really wants a GUI that badly, but who knows :smile: what do you think?

Of course, the major issue with a clientside mod would be that if you don’t have the actual game at hand, you don’t have your console. But I guess that’s what remote clients are for.

1 Like

Looks good, but most servers are running a headless linux system - there is a GUI like this useless …

• Morph

It’s my thought as well. Load it up as a Forge mod and bridge to Sponge land. The client side mod would be optional so that it would not have to be folded into a modpack for distribution.

i Was basicly using it, and it was realy popular !

Don’t forget that there is a ton of people who run servers just for their friends, perhaps on a Windows/Mac OS X system.

If we have a GUI, we can even add uPnP so it automatically port forwards for you.

More users for Sponge? Not seeing an issue with that.

9 Likes

That’d be pretty fantastic really, I’d opt for this any day.

I had this conversation with @disconsented and @SpaceManiac

[11:02] xxmarijnw: Do you guys think Sponge should be build around a GUI?
[11:02] MrMysteri0us: Never needed that.
[11:02] SpaceManiac: built around? no, a gui isn’t a central feature
[11:02] SpaceManiac: have? easy for a plugin to do.
[11:12] Disconsented: xxmarijnw: Heck no
[11:12] xxmarijnw: Lawl? :stuck_out_tongue:
[11:12] Disconsented: A plugin can add it on later if need be
[11:12] Disconsented: But not stock
[11:13] xxmarijnw: Youre talking about the GUI?
[11:13] Disconsented: yep
[11:13] xxmarijnw: So its just going to be run off an CMD?
[11:14] Disconsented: CLI but yeah
[11:14] Disconsented: IIRC there will be a basic GUI like forge’s

I could try writing a wrapper that serves as a GUI for Sponge that pulls the next version of Sponge when it releases, once Sponge is released. It would be .Net though (which is what BukkitGUI runs on and requires). I may as well Open Source it and give it the MIT License, just so it fits the Sponge pattern.

@xxmarijnw Give credit to me as well! I made your quote look sexy!
On topic: I think @sk89q said something like it would be nice to have a GUI for less-experienced players earlier on #sponge.

He did just a few posts above this XP I think they’ve mostly set their minds on this matter and doesn’t bode for much discussion unless it pertains to ideas for the GUI, which even then I think they have an idea of what they want to do with it.

I am sorry for not mentioning you. You did make it look sexy! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just want to say, I ran a profiler on a forge server with a bunch of mods installed a while back. Updating the GUI took more processor time than everything else on the server combined.

1 Like

For reference, in the Sponge Project Ideas document, there is mention of a GUI

##Features

• GUI Unlike Others where it is CMD, we have a GUI so Beginners can get started easily. With an Integrated Help Menu. (Easy Documentation Access)

I think I’m going to try to start a Lapis project for this.
Current idea is to offer a LapisGui.jar in the plugins directory; if the server is started on a headed system (i.e. a desktop) then the GUI will start right away.

If the system is headless, you can use it in control panel mode by sshing into the box in question and running LapisGui.jar, and if you’ve enabled X11 forwarding (ssh -X) then it’ll start the GUI with forwarding and let you use it on a client box.

Integrating Jetty could also be a good way of implementing a web version, even if it just serves up an applet.

Just an idea dump, seemed like the right thread to do it in =P

1 Like

I have always used Mmyadmin (have 3 lincense’s) and I never had any problems with it using to much RAM.
I would suggest not to make a GUI because it will only make the list longer. and who really uses it? i have never used it myself even before I found mcma and have been creating/setting up servers for a Long time (R.I.P. bukkit & cauldron/mcpc+)

Edited: corrections

Will this GUI that you guys are going to implement, will there will be a way to disable it and run it strictly in the terminal or if there is such thing as not being able to disable it, will the GUI be UNIX/LINUX compatible?

EDIT:

Also if the GUI is not added will there be support for a server wrapper that would allow a sort’ve GUI?

Sponge for Forge runs atop MinecraftForge and would use Forge’s GUI, which is the normal Minecraft Server GUI. With Forge, it is already possible to run without a GUI, as most servers do.

The inclusion of a new GUI with UPnP, I believe would only be for those who intend to run something of a small private server on their home network or the likes with little to no technical experience, and would have no intention of disrupting the traditionally no GUI environments that a large portion of Minecraft Servers run on.

Back when I started using Bukkit I found a project called the BukkitGUI project which has/had a great interface and lots of options in the GUI for server administration. It also streamlined the process of adding plugins to your bukkit server. If the developer Bertware follows the Sponge community, once sponge is officially released he may make another GUI for it.

thanks mate for the info and link look great.
and should be usefull to have on a small home server.
I like the layout and simple look.
though you could use any minecraft version or launcher because there’s a option to select a generic java.