Sponge vs Rainbow

Honestly, granite looks good. No words :open_mouth:.

I would even add that this is actually worth to discuss. Instead of wasting ur times of discussing a ghost API (husk) and a shitty API(rainbow).

I think I’ve seen people talk about how Microsoft says that Forge can continue to work how it has worked before.This could mean that Forge can bypass the EULA and continue to evolve as well as the Minecraft community.

Let’s not forget that Forge uses MCP so it means that Forge can’t come out before MCP 1.8 comes out and as @OffLuffy stated:

[quote=“OffLuffy, post:41, topic:3091, full:true”]
I could be mistaken, but isn’t MCP a bit ahead? https://twitter.com/SeargeDP/status/517027419103186944

Not sure what version that’s for, but if it’s for 1.8, then no real need to worry about MCP.
[/quote] MCP is probably going to come out for 1.8 soon.

1 Like

Just to add to this, Granite will not have to wait for MCP to update as we can update for snapshots. Yes that’s right, we are snapshot compatible.

3 Likes

There is a reason this is called spongepowered… it is a forum for sponge, now i haven’t looked at your stuff but I like to wonder why you guys dont just work on sponge?

Like many have said: Competition is good

I work for the rainbow project and you can all say what you will.all ik is that im playing on 1.8 with some plugins and you are all here complaining.Rainbow might be a small community and here might be all huge and stuff.We will be around for a long time you can bet on that.oh and by the way sponge might be ready for 1.8 after 1.9 comes out…have a nice day
by the way its www.project-rainbow.org/site

1 Like

We’re just saying that it’ll likely be DMCA’d as well fairly soon. No one here is willing to invest much time into that given that fact. Otherwise, if that wasn’t an issue, I’m sure people would be alright with it, save for some of the other issues, like limited plugin support and horrible (no) code arrangement in the dev’s cases.

3 Likes

Seriously? I understand that you want to promote your poorly made server, but are you unable to realize this is illegal and how unprofessional you sound?

There’s also no reason at all to bring up the point of “sponge might be ready for 1.8 after 1.9 comes out”; by 1.9 no one will even know about “Rainbow.”

That said, have a nice day.

2 Likes

I am a friend of sponge. BUT i do have respect for the Rainbow Team. There is no reason to diss them. They did not troll the forum like some fans of husk did.

3 Likes

If people dont unite we will have to wait much longer for a bukkit replacement. Stop this kids.

1 Like

so lets see you can cut up rainbow and thats fine.If i defend the rainbow project im called unprofessional.and if you read the eula properly sponge then would be illegal.Everyone always tries to find a loophole or a reason to make things legal.Rainbow might not have a million devs working on it but its made it farther then sponge up to this point.so bukkit is illegal so that means spigot is and rainbow.but if you would realize minecraft didnt take down bukkit.so rainbow should not worry.there is no wolf there.

1 Like

Dont take it personal when those haters come up. sk89q does not support them and we should all focus and be peacefull as long as poeple dont troll and make strange promotion campains for their projects.

I will say the same answer that I saying for Husk project. It is good for the users to have choice of Sponge, Husk, Rainbow or any others. The Joyce of Open Source is to make diversity. I will continue to support Sponge but I respect fully Rainbow project. And I repeat, the effort must be given to build a nice project, not to blast an other project. If the other project is good, perfect! If the other project is bad, this is not our problem. This expression works in French but I don’t know in English: “A nose is for breathing, not to put in the affairs of others.”

2 Likes

I think the equivalent expression in English is to keep one’s nose out of other people’s business.

Addressing the unproffessionalism you have been called out on, your grammar and and the manner in which you conduct yourself is similar to a young teenager, or someone who is an English second language speaker. I don’t intend any offense from this, so if I have offended, I apologise.

As for the licensing/EULA issues, Mojang have made it clear that they are not against modding. Though Bukkit breached their EULA, it wasn’t Mojang who enforced it when issuing the DCMA takedown, it was a Bukkit contributor, who, within their rights according to the GPLv3 license, issued a takedown request because the CraftBukkit project was in violation of both Mojang’s EULA and Bukkit’s GPL license which disallows the use of proprietary code.

This isn’t a competition about who has the best server API, but the fact remains that the Rainbow project is in violation of Mojang’s EULA. Mojang would be well within their rights to issue a takedown notice. However, they may not do this as many mods have survived in the past that have done this. Sponge’s project on the other hand does not distribute proprietary code (nor do any of its proposed platforms) and would not be subject to such a takedown notice. The MIT license used also prevents a single contributor from bringing down the project.

I can respect the Rainbow project for what it is, an actual working server mod for 1.8, but it remains to be seen whether it will continue. I bid you good luck.

5 Likes

I really don’t understand why it comes with features that would be best saved for plugins…

And some others which won’t be used very much?

those commands were added before any plugins were made even before there were plug in devs.they are slowly being removed as plugin devs are making plugins for example Pl3xCommands v0.1 BETA9
http://www.project-rainbow.org/site/index.php?topic=25.0

as more plugins are created…more of the installed commands will be removed

1 Like

Let’s compare all three of the APIs!

Sponge

Pros

• Forge-enabled
  • Ability to use a Forge server w/o a Forge client
  • Well-known developers working on it.
  • Most Bukkit plugins can be ported?
  • Bukkit -> Sponge plugins being built?

Cons

• May take long to release
  • No download available
  • ?

Rainbow

Pros

• Released straightaway (?)

Cons

• Bad Website Design
  • Crap API (?)
  • Bad English (?)
  • Not legal (?)

Husk

Pros

• Active Devs
  • Can at least speak English
  • Have their own API (correcting myself from the other post)
  • Ability to use Bukkit plugins.

Cons

• Ghost API

So far, the one that is released the first, is the one that has less potential than the others. Also the Rainbow devs are disappointing as well, posting about yourself on a thread on another “competitor forums”? Shame.

5 Likes

My version

Sponge

Pros

• Publicly avaliable from the beginning.
  • Native Forge mods support
  • Big community
  • Good known devs.
  • Because of 1 and 3 it’ll probably have better api than Husk or Rainbow
  • Because of 1 anyone can download and build Sponge, no need to wait for release at all.

Cons

• No native bukkit plugin support (Can be fixed with Pore)
  • Not working atm because Forge for 1.8 is not out yet.

Rainbow

Pros

• Can be downloaded now.
  • Native support for Bukkit plugins

Cons

• That Bukkit support is minimal.
  • Shitty API
  • No (or very small) community
  • Closed source and distributes nms.
  • Who even makes it?

Husk

Pros

• Native support for Bukkit plugins
  • Open Source

Cons

• Open Source doesnt have sources avaliable
  • No (or very small) community
  • Cant be downloaded atm.
  • Not so well known devs, but they at least exist and alive.

My comments

1. Bukkit support is needed only for the beginning. Making your project another CraftBukkit (+ another api) is no good.
  2. Why do we even need those projects? For plugins. And since Rainbow has the shittiest API comparing to Sponge or Husk (which by the way we dont know anyting about), it’ll die quickly
  3. Competition is good, as long as we’re not talking about standarts, but we are.
2 Likes

Thanks! I like your version better ;)!

Totally agree, I would even say fuck bukkit and just make a new API, we need to live to the future and not struggle with stuff from the past. Also and I don’t know if other plugin devs agree with this. Bukkit feels so bloody damn cursed to code in now.

Again proofs that where human (or animal (hey, lions fight to so …) ).

1 Like