About Version 1.14+

Hello
When does Sponge plan to release version 1.14+?
Are there plans?

There are plans. The current plan is wait for forge 1.14+ to get stable, when it is stable then start work on 1.14.

Thats not to say the sponge team is sitting on there asses waiting for forge. They aren’t. Instead currently sponge are modifying the current Sponge code to make it simple to port sponge from 1.12.2 to 1.14, 1.15, etc. This is why you may have seen the latest versions of 1.12.2 loose compatibility with some mods as they were too difficult to maintain.

So while both forge and sponge are hard at work you will need to wait. I have seen many posts wanting 1.14 and some of them wanting sponge vanilla to be ported. Sadly it is a waiting game.

You can gain more in depth information about everything 1.14 on the sponge announcement pages and the latest state of sponge.

1 Like

I think it would be disappointing if Sponge updates were too slow.

1 Like

Typically updates are fast for sponge. As someone who has been here from the start, i can say that typically there is a few days to a couple of months wait, not long.

Its just the forge versions for the current MC versions are too unstable to be used for sponge. As mentioned before.

Also mentioned before is that sponge are changing the code currently so its quicker to update to minecraft versions. A right move considering minecraft is updating 2 times a year now.

Well, thank you very much for your answer.

And?..
Some days ago forge team have realeased a Stable Recommended Forge 1.14.4-28.1.0.

Forge release 1.14.4

Do you asleep? Wake up, wake up, guys!!!

3 Likes

We accept PRs…

If you are unhappy with the speed which Sponge is progressing, please contribute.
Please also remember that this is an entirely volunteer run group, and that most of us have lives and jobs outside of just working on Sponge - sadly that means some things take a little longer.

– Please also note that this is my personal opinion, and not spoken as the voice of sponge staff or such.

3 Likes

I’m awfully sorry if I slighly hit someone. Just I was just gonna attract attention to that forge team have released stable forge build.

They also released stable versions for 1.13 too. Yet we dont have a sponge version for that either. Its sadly - as d4rkfly3r said - a case of waiting and/or contributing to get to the latest version of minecraft.

As you probably know, 1.13 broke everything and the sponge team have been making a lot of effort to rebuild what was broke and attempt to make sure it doesnt happen again. So once there is a sponge version that is 1.14+ and minecraft do something drastic again (like they are doing in 1.15 with the clients rendering - as this is client side, it shouldnt affect sponge that much), the sponge team will be able to adapt to the changes quickly.

2 Likes

We are still drafting API 8 for plugin authors. We cannot start implementation without having the API done, just like you cannot build the second floor without a first floor.

1 Like

Did you mean to reply to me? When i said “rebuild whats broken” I was refering to updating the mixen that the sponge team have been doing to 1.12.2

Ah, mixin updates. The mixin update is a housecleaning going on that aims to make long-term porting and maintenance easier by separating version-specific features, mechanism tweaks, api implementations, etc. apart.

Anecdotally I totally agree with that, would be interesting to have a resource with each MC release date and the corresponding Sponge release date.

1 Like

Unfortunately, version 1.14.4 Sponge hasn’t been released yet.

It’s been almost a full year since sponge said they were “working on it”

Yet there not been any update

There have been plenty of “news” updates as well as development pushes as shown by the API 8 branch.

That API branch shows they are still working on it and have been hard on working on it

Yet not a single actual release candidate in all that time.

So? 1.13 broke a lot that sponge needed to patch, sponge had to wait for MCP, Forge and Mixins to update to 1.13 before they could even start on 1.13.

Thats only to start development. Development for a well known platform that has Plugins, means that the sponge team needed to not only get sponge working for 1.13 but also plan the API that plugins will use. Its a difficult thing to do, if your not happy with the time of development, by all means help the team develop it, its open source and accept “pull requests” with your code.