Ani's Development Blog

I’ve officially launched Ani’s Development Blog (at https://aniskywalker.com), where I will write articles on Sponge development and plugin tutorials. I’ve already collaborated with @pie_flavor, @KingGoesGaming, and @ryantheleach in bringing you all the best content possible. You can talk with us in IRC (irc.esper.net, #anidev) or on Twitter.

For people new to Sponge Development

Our Sponge Plugin Tutorial is aimed at you. We provide code examples and walk you through the creation of a Sponge Plugin, from the moment you open IntelliJ (or your IDE of choice) to the very last semicolon. You can find the first part here.

For intermediate Sponge Developers

We have content aimed at speeding up your workflow, starting with our guide to installing and using @DemonWav’s Minecraft Development IntelliJ plugin. That can be found here.

For experienced Sponge Developers

If you are interested in contributing to the blog, message me on here. We’re working to provide another complete knowledgebase on how to do everything Sponge.

FAQ

Why not use the docs?

It’s always good to present information in more than one way so that people get a more complete and immersive learning experience. The sheer amount of information in the Sponge Docs can be overwhelming.

What is the license on the content?

All content on Ani’s Development Blog is currently copyrighted, but we’re exploring other licenses. We believe knowledge should be gained without strings attached.

Is this an official Sponge project?

No. We are not officially affiliated with the Sponge Project (or Mojang for that matter).

Is there a way to access the website without SSL (because I’m on Internet Explorer -2)

No. We believe in strong security, so we force SSL on every part of our website, from the images loaded externally to the analytics scripts.

Why is there an ad?

To maintain funding for the website, we place one unobtrusive ad on certain pages. We would appreciate it if you disabled your ad blocker on our site, and we promise that we will never make our ads intrude on the content of the site. Any excess ad revenue will be donated to the Sponge Foundation.

If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to ask!

4 Likes

Cool! Are you going to cover how to test the plugin. I am sure that this is the most interesting topic for newcomers. I’d recommend to mention the official way and the spo Spongestart gradle plugin: SpongeStart Gradle plugin

1 Like

Yes, definitely. If you’d like to write up a tutorial on using Spongestart I’d be happy to talk with you about it.

1 Like

Mum get the camera! My name in there, even I didn’t
add anything yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is great. You should get a video guy. You know someone who will do instructional videos on YouTube or something. There’s almost no video content on Sponge (excluding SOS) and for the younger base, some prefer something they can watch and follow along.

Funny, @pie_flavor and I were discussing this. I’m capable of recording and he can narrate perfectly. We might be able to work something out. Personally, that’s how I learned the Bukkit API about 4 years ago.

Same here. Recently been attempting to learn Forge this way because there documentation is less than impressive.

Also on a financial note you could get a little more ad revenue doing this.

I’m not doing this for the money, but it’s nice to cover ends.

I know, just saying it’ll help cover ends as you put it

@gabizou is working on official Sponge video tutorials for IntelliJ, and @mumfrey is working on official Sponge video tutorials for Eclipse. I will be contributing a little with @gabizou to talk about my IntelliJ plugin too.

Awesome. I saw some of them in the docs. I’ll be sure to link to them as needed.