Appaling performance

Hi everyone. I’ve been using Sponge server for a couple of months now. The last time i hosted a server it was a cauldron 1.7.10 server, if i remember correctly.

Anyway, my first server hardware was a Pentium IV HT 640, 1GB of DDR400 memory, and a shitty IDE 5400RPM platter. Server 2003
My internet connection at the time was ADSL2+, 10mb down and 800kb up.

It was able to manage up to 15 players in vanilla, and around 5 or 6 with mods and around 40 bukkit plugins.

Then i upgraded to a Core2 Quad Q6600, 4GB of DDR2-800 and a 7200RPM SATAII drive. Server 2008 R2. I upgraded my internet connection to VDSL2, 30mb down, 1.5mb up. Now i could double those user numbers with ease, and still use the server for CSS servers, Killing Floor servers, Web servers, even PLEX would work.

Then, i decided i wanted to start playing Minecraft with friends again, so i looked into Sponge. I downloaded the “4.1.0-SNAPSHOT-3e39b9c” version, configured it, and installed IC2, Buildcraft, TMI (Or NEI? Or other thing, cant remember), and a couple of plugins (MC edit, Sign Shop, and little more).

The game couldnt even handle 3 players without constantly stopping and even crashing. My CPU would max out and even if i gave it 2GB out of 4GB, it would still want more. Draw distance set at 7.

So, i thought, “time to upgrade the server”!. And so i did:

CPU: Xeon 5660 (6C/12T @ 2.8Ghz, 3.2 Turbo)
RAM: 6x4GB DDR3-1866 (24GB total).
SSD: Patriot 128GB
OS: Server 2012 R2.
Connection: FTTH 300mb down 30mb up

And the game runs much better, BUT… i still get the occasional 2s or 3s lag spike from time to time (maybe once every couple of minutes… PER PLAYER)… EVEN INSIDE MY LAN (wired, 1gb).

Why is this happening? it should be smooth as butter. None of the trheads ever go north of 10% usage, and normaly, they are at 0-2%.

You are using an outdated build. You need to download the latest SpongeForge build at

Please run build http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/org/spongepowered/spongeforge/1.8.9-1890-4.1.0-BETA-1354/spongeforge-1.8.9-1890-4.1.0-BETA-1354.jar

To start timings, enter the command ‘/sponge timings on’ and let it sit for a bit.
When enough time has passed, enter the command ‘/sponge timings paste’ to generate the report and finally to stop timings, enter the command ‘/sponge timings off’

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I downloaded that version, replaced the file, renamed it the way the other one was named, and ran the server star batch file. I get this error:

C:\Users\Administrador\Desktop\Server minecraft 1.8.9>java -Xms3G -Xmx3G -jar fo
rge.jar
A problem occurred running the Server launcher.java.lang.reflect.InvocationTarge
tException
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunc
hWrapper.java:43)
        at net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaun
chWrapper.java:12)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/logging/log4j/Level
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:94)
        at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)
        ... 6 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.logging.log4j.Level
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        ... 8 more

C:\Users\Administrador\Desktop\Server minecraft 1.8.9>pause
Presione una tecla para continuar . . .

I’ve rolled back to the version that worked, any idea why i get the error message? The server has Java 8 Update 91 installed, both the 32bit and 64bit versions.

You are using the wrong forge version. Make sure to download and install the latest 1.8.9 build from files.minecraftforge.net

OK, last forge is installed.

About the timings, should i take them while people are playing?

These are the timings with the server empty: Aikar's Timings Viewer
=1

EDIT: Scrap that, i was using latest forge but the same outdated Sponge, once i put the latest sponge in, it would spit me the same error as before, the server wont start.

Did you run the forge installer to make sure the correct libraries are installed? If so, just do this as a quick test, remove ALL mods except sponge and verify it starts. After it starts, start adding back in mods 1 by 1.

I did, yeah, it downloaded some libraries.

I will report later, for now, the old version will have to do, it’s not TOO annoying. Except horses, they are un-rideable, LOL.

Thanks for your time, i will report back with the results.

If it did not start with a clean install then something is wrong on your end because it definitely works with latest 1.8.9 Forge build. Just use the forge installer and install the server into a NEW folder. Run the server without any mods to make sure it works then add the latest SpongeForge 1.8.9 build.

Also, the build you are running is bugged so I highly recommend you update.

Forge
build 1890 or 1902 (make sure to run the server installer)

SpongeForge
http://files.minecraftforge.net/maven/org/spongepowered/spongeforge/1.8.9-1890-4.1.0-BETA-1355/spongeforge-1.8.9-1890-4.1.0-BETA-1355.jar