Building the Community

No idea if this post fits in this category, but let’s go anyways:
I want to know how we’re going to build our community. I really don’t want it to be the same as Bukkit’s (for example, questions asking in forums about how to install plugins while it’s in the docs), but instead more oriented around Spigot’s community.
What do y’all think?

Can you expand on it a bit more? I don’t understand.

Compare the Bukkit community to Spigot’s - you’ll see an obvious difference. I want the Sponge community to be more professional.

I don’t think you can really control who is in the community if that’s what you mean? The people in the community define the community. At the moment the community does have a lot of professionalism because the developers act in that way, so it’s looking pretty good so far in terms of the community.

1 Like

I don’t want to control the community. All I want is for our community to stay professional, even after the “noobs” come over. We can accomplish that by setting an example for them and making rules that will prevent any splitting of the community (like in the case of Bukkit and Spigot).

Regardless of the preparations you take, there will always be people asking blatantly obvious questions. It’s just how Minecraft is. It’s so easy to just host a vanilla server with your friends, but API’s and stuff make it harder, and when it’s a young kid, or simply an uninformed adult, not everyone is going to know to look in some document on a site they’ve never been on before.

1 Like

This a thousand times. On the MinecraftForge forums we have a whole EAQ and everything, linked EVERYWHERE on the forums in LARGE BOLD RED TEXT but NOBODY reads it -.-

3 Likes

Well We should like ask them a question after they join the forums, like : do you have experience in this and this blbalba , Yes or no ? if no we should directly send them to a tutoriel page we are sure they don’t miss it
@luacs1998

My best suggestion for things like this would be to have a tutorial section on the website and whenever a user asks about something link them to a tutorial on that topic and if they ask something that doesn’t exist yet make a tutorial for it. Then eventually we will have a whole repository of things we can link people to. There will always be people asking questions and that is the easiest way to deal with it.

2 Likes

Thanks for reading my post before posting --", I’ve meant that

This whole topic is both well-meaning and just a whole lot of pontificating. It’s condescending and rude.

You can’t plan a community. It’s inherently organic. Just be a good community member yourself, and the rest will follow.

4 Likes

If you haven’t noticed, when you make a new thread on these forums and it seems similar to another pre-existing thread, a pop-up will show suggesting that what your typing sounds similar.

Besides from that, @obscurehero is correct, there is nothing we can really do except construct a good set of documentation and politely link it on the threads and ask people to read it, not force them.

2 Likes

The only thing that really bothered me about the Bukkit community was that some of the better developers were very hostile towards others. There was all this paranoia around “spoon feeding”, and it seemed like people wouldn’t even bother with some of the newer devs. I will say that the newbies would often come on and be like: “can u pls teech mi how 2 maek javah plegin, i dun kno wut ‘boolean’ meenz”, but they’d often get confused with the people who clearly did have a sufficient understanding of Java, but would still receive rude responses.

But really, the only way you can shape the community is by making rules.

4 Likes

I definitely agree with you, the Bukkit Community is much different than the Spigot community. I would much rather prefer a community that is professional and helpful to others in the community, much like Spigot. What I definitely find much more useful within the Spigot community is that the forums is not just about Spigot itself, but about what needs to be done to create a server and questions about developing and even going so far as Building and Graphics. I think things like that are very beneficial to the community as it unites us and lets us make friends that share the same interests as well as help various sellers sell their product.
I believe the community should be based off of what the members would like. There are so many different types of people out there that are part of the Minecraft community that would like to share their talents and i think Sponge could help them do that.
All of that beside, one of the most important parts of a community like this is professionalism. Communities such as Spigot have a community that is willing to help others on the forums professionally without causing any problems or “trolling”. A lot of this involves having good staff that are willing to commit to the idea of Sponge and are willing to help those in need. I suspect that there will be many people having questions about this new API once it is released as it is brand new to the community.

1 Like

I’ve been personally administrating communities, both large and small, for the past 14 years.

• I like it professional and I tend to be extremely level-headed. I am always open to input.
  • However professional I may be, however, I will still interact with the community.
  • My main focus is not rules: rules are not the be-all and end-all. The important part is encouraging good behavior and discouraging bad behavior .There is no point doing something for the sake of it.
  • My opinion is that being rude to people who come for help is always unreasonable. My reasoning is this: if you keep getting new people asking the same questions over and over, do you think being rude to them will do anything to reduce the influx of new people asking the same questions? No, obviously not. All you do is harbor anger and hatred.
4 Likes

It’s hard to control the community, and also its harsh to send away noobs. Everyone deserves a chance.