Bukkit 1.8 Released by Spigot Team

As you may have heard, the spigot team has released a working version of 1.8 Spigot and Craftbukkit. I’m more interested in Craftbukkit as that’s what I came from. It broke a couple plugins, but the Spigot team updated the ones they know about for us. It’s kind of a weird process to download it, but it worked and I was able to update my server. I’m excited I have something to hold me over until sponge is released, and reliable!

http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/bukkit-craftbukkit-spigot-1-8.36598/

Here are some discussion points i’d like to see touched :^)

Legality of them distributing this

Bugs/Problems encountered

Hype

If this isn’t an appropriate topic let me know and delete my thread mods.

As I have no legal background, I have no idea whether or not what they are doing is legal.

A problem I encountered is they updated Essentials to have Essentials_Spawn as a seperate plugin. I couldn’t figure out what was controlling my spawn area for a while because I was dumb. Other than that I’ve had no issues apart from an exception in the console every so often. Runs smooth™

I’m hyped to have 1.8 working until Sponge can come to a full/beta/reliable’ish release.

1 Like

Ive seen a few things about spigot… Like how enchanting doesn’t(/didn’t) work and they may receive more legal notices

Still should be interesting how things go for the next few months

3 Likes

I havn’t even tested out the enchanting yet, but I think I saw something about that too. Might be fixed now. I got what i need though, a workingish™ version of 1.8 to hold me over until Sponge is ready.

I talk about the new legal issues here. (And another claim by wolvereness, yay…)

1 Like

I’ve been using Essentials before 1.8 and Essentials_Spawns was already a separate plugin(there is the core essentials and 7 modules including groupmanager).

I’ve just tried enchanting and it works. People are complaining that you have to be lvl 30 to make lvl 30 enchants and that’s how it’s supposed to work. It only removes three lvls when you do the actual enchanting.(only tried once, might be a random bug).
I’ve also seen complaints about glithes in the enchanting interface which is due to outdated resourcepacks.

Some bug reports are genuine but most of it them are from people who tl;dr everything and then want help from the devs. I’m sure sponge will get it’s fair share of that when released.

3 Likes

I’ve been testing their version of craftbukkit and its surprising how smoothly its gone.

Had to update Essentials, Craftbook and WorldEdit, everything else I use is working near-flawlessly.

The spigot team also put in a patch to Vanilla sign conversion which was stripping the [] symbols from signs. Enchanting not taking the right number of levels was fixed as well.

Barring any bugs that surface in the next few days I’ll probably move it to my production server.

2 Likes

Sorry if this is a noob question, but what are the odds of a Sponge implementation using Spigot as a backend? Legal grey area aside, would that be desirable? What would be the impediments to this happening?

Spigot Team can update Bukkit for ever, but there’s a HUGE problem: No one can commit to make it better.

Spigot is a pretty good API and is compatible with 99% of Bukkit plugins which is a huge bonus especially for anyone coming from Bukkit.

As a former Bukkit user I’m tempted to switch to Spigot… The only thing keeping me away is their questionable legal issues and the fact that they are dependant on Bukkit, which I am almost certain won’t be around for much longer. I’m also pretty sure that the Spigot team is going to tell Wolf where he can shove his DMCA req. since they switched their servers to Romania. For these reasons I wouldn’t touch Spigot with a 10 foot pole unless it wouldn’t faze you to possibly have to switch to another API in the somewhat near future.

IMO, Sponge has a large Dev team with tons of experience and they should be able to update fast once this thing really get rolling. They also seem to have the legal side of things taken care of. This project has also gained a lot of traction and support from the community as well. From the look of things right now Sponge is on track to be the next most popular API.

Spigot uses Bukkit not their own API

I’m just using their 1.8 bukkit version until Sponge is ready™
It will get me by.

As a former Bukkit user I'm tempted to switch to Spigot... The only thing keeping me away is their questionable legal issues and the fact that they are dependant on Bukkit, which I am almost certain won't be around for much longer. I'm also pretty sure that the Spigot team is going to tell Wolf where he can shove his DMCA req. since they switched their servers to Romania. For these reasons I wouldn't touch Spigot with a 10 foot pole unless it wouldn't faze you to possibly have to switch to another API in the somewhat near future.