Bukkit2Sponge: an implementation of SpongeAPI for Bukkit servers

This seems like a lot of work for little gain if you ask me. This is like dropping a turbo charger in a Geo using duct tape. IDK about the rest, but I don’t plan on supporting my bukkit plugins for very much longer. Hell I’ve been dragging my feet on the fixes I need to push out simply because fixing bugs in a dead project is un-motivating. Good luck to ya.

3 Likes

Notice how people come from Bukkit, to here. What would be the use of having it for Bukkit? Seems everyone will switch out of Bukkit anyways, instead of to Bukkit.

1 Like

We could use it on modpack servers :stuck_out_tongue: .

nice :slight_smile: but my moded servers are still in 1.6.4 so no chance to use it :frowning:

Switching to Bukkit is like beating a dead horse…
Sponge will definitely be the best option when it’s finally released.

Spigot is just the try to let Bukkit last the bit longer that takes Sponge to get done. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That is what I am saying

1 Like

Fixed, Bukkit2Sponge now works on both Glowstone++ and Glowstone. ++ had to include the jsr305 jar for these annotations, which were moved out of the Guava package, but SpongeAPI had a different version causing the conflict. Could have relocated maybe, but it was only used in one place in the server so I just removed it.

Released Bukkit2Sponge 0.0.2 improving version compatibility, should work on 1.6.4 now. Also tested on briefly 1.7.10 and 1.5.2 (and 1.8.3).

The Bukkit API has been fairly stable over these versions, the main problem was incompatible library dependencies. Solved this by relocating Guava and ASM within Bukkit2Sponge at build time and runtime in the plugin class loader using ASM RemappingClassAdapter, so they do not conflict with the server platform version (Guava 10 in Bukkit 1.7.10 and earlier, Guava 17 in Spigot-Bukkit 1.8.3 and Glowstone++ 1.8.3, but 10 in Glowstone 1.8; ASM 5 vs ASM 4, etc.). Not sure how long I’ll be able to maintain backwards compatibility as more features are implemented requiring newer API, however.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to be rude but this seems extremely pointless. The whole reason why Sponge was created is because Bukkit is more or less obsolete. This is a waste of time in my opinion.

6 Likes

This is definitely not pointless. It will take a year or two until Sponge a) is stable AND b) has enough plugins to move from one of the Bukkit API softwares. There are servers that rely on plugins they wrote or edited themselves. Some of them require NMS or are too complex and cannot be loaded by Pore because of that and it’s pointless to port the changes of edited plugins to their unstable Sponge builds. And even if you made the transition, users that do not need client modding will have little to no benefit from the change. Sponge will be better, but Bukkit is a well working and feature rich API, as well. It always did everything we needed. So why should we rush the transition? In my opinion, that would be the true pointless thing.

3 Likes

At least till Sponge Vanilla is out.

It’s called a “joke”.

Makes sense, although not the more obvious of the two when you’re thinking of titles as descriptors in themselves.

thx :slight_smile: i’m open to tests, will be nice if sponge support bungee

seems it works :slight_smile:

18:46:55 [INFO] This server is running BungeeCord version git:BungeeCord-Bootstrap:1.8-SNAPSHOT:“9cf57ca”:1068 by md_5
[18:18:52] [Server thread/INFO]: This server is running CraftBukkit version git-Spigot-5818108-f87cd1a (MC: 1.8.4) (Implementing API version 1.8.4-R0.1-SNAPSHOT)

“…”
[18:18:59 INFO]: [Bukkit2Sponge] SpongeAPI plugin found: Spongy v0.2
[18:18:59 INFO]: [Bukkit2Sponge] SpongeAPI plugin found: ExtraChat v1.4
[18:18:59 INFO]: [Bukkit2Sponge] Initializing 2 SpongeAPI plugins…
“…”

full log : http://pastebin.com/aA1PsmVV

Well if Sponge is going to replace Bukkit is a way, why would we downgrade to Bukkit. Sponge can be so different to Bukkit and right now Sponge plugins are mimicking Bukkit plugins like Core --> Essentials and we are trying to port bukkit plugins to Sponge. Its an interesting idea for when Sponge offers something new and there is something Bukkit does offer or your reason of recycling an old Bukkit server. I want to try something out with this. I do see some use with this so I want to see what people make of this.

Ok, so it allows you to use sponge PLUGINS on bukkit, but, does it allow you to use forge mods too?

@SuperMarioCraft_Gam
This plugin was intended for the times when a Sponge replacement isn’t available. Obviously the best solution are plugins ported or rewitten for Sponge and the SpongeAPI :wink:

@killer2294
You can run Sponge on Forge. So there’s no need to use a plugin to get Forge support. Just install a Forge server, put SpongeForge into the mods folder and you’ll be able to run Sponge plugins together with Forge 1.8 mods.

In case anyone was waiting for updates, a quick note on the status of Bukkit2Sponge. This plugin originally targeted SpongeAPI 2.0. There have been many significant changes from 2.0 to 3.0, I started to update Bukkit2Sponge to SpongeAPI 3.0 and was looking at 501 compile errors, just to give you an idea of the breadth of changes involved. I have started updating here: https://github.com/GlowstonePlusPlus/Bukkit2Sponge/pull/12 - down to 444 errors, but there is a long way to go.

If anyone wants to help in the updating effort, be my guest =). I am still interested in Bukkit2Sponge, but have been pursuing other interests lately, so no promises when or if it will be updated. Once the Sponge API stabilizes maybe I’ll take another look, there’s also the interesting possibility of adding Sponge support directly to https://github.com/GlowstonePlusPlus/GlowstonePlusPlus instead (much of the code of Bukkit2Sponge could probably be reused, in fact B2S was originally based on the ShinySponge prototype implementation for Glowstone). Of course, there’s also the possibility that Bukkit2Sponge’s time has passed or will pass, if it has outlived its potential usefulness. Only time will tell…

1 Like

As sponge plugins grow this plugin may become a wanted plugin for big servers wanting to update to sponge but maybe get a feel for the plugins here. The plugins here are growing rapidly and may soon surpass bukkit. This plugin may be needed for people fearing to update because of how big the server is and custom bukkit plugins. This plugin has a lot of usefulness I didn’t see the first time I caught this because there were not a lot of sponge plugins back then. They are growing and the community here is insanely active. Peruse a API Version: 4 update so your plugin can get up to speed for API Version: 5 because plugins will update. Hope this gives motivation in this plugin. I would use this plugin on my server while I wait for 1.9 sponge to come.