Can We Trust Sponge?

I want to point one other thing out for your concerns. LexManos, the main developer and contributor to Forge has stated on several occasions that even in the event that Mojang (now Microsoft) were to release a modding/plugin API, he would continue to work on Forge, as he feels there would be a need for it. Forge’s license is also fairly open and straightforward allowing anyone to fork or continue the project in the event that Lex were to stop working on it, or just because you wanted to.

Don’t worry. Sponge is built on the work of many project that came before it. So long as the popularity and necessity for such a project exists, there will be necessary tools, and I’m sure, manpower to continue it or build off of it.

1 Like

How is Bukkit’s concern not Sponge’s concern? There was nothing legal in reverse-engineering copy-righted software to improve it. Mojang did not enforce anything at all. For instance Blizzard would have banned anyone involved from day one.
Also a non-US company like Mojang can not make a case against US-based offenders. Now MicroSoft is a US-based company.

Please be aware how deep in the shit this nice initiative is.

That’s simply not true. Everyone can file a lawsuit in the US. This also applies to all EU-countries.
Are you aware of it? I’m asking because all I understand is how frightened you seem to be, but I don’t see any facts.

I’m interested in the topic… so if anyone wants to explain it to me, I’m all ears.

I wonder what the legal impacts are of not enforcing any rules around de-compilation of the source code. And to me, a lay person, Mojang’s reaction to such gives me the impression that it was OK, meaning that it would be hard for them to put that genie back in the bottle. Of course, all this would need to be tested in the courts if any party so desires such a test. I would imagine, though, that the modding community would not do this because it would take quite a bit of money to persue in the courts.

Bukkit’s issues stemmed from one its developers.

If Mojang wanted to give us trouble, they could in a multitude of ways. I would not even consider making a from-scratch implementation of the Minecraft server even worthwhile.

If Mojang is a concern (or Microsoft now), the only option is to move to an entirely different game. However, for most people, that is not going to happen.

@sk89q
We can make our own game. :wink:

1 Like