Dedicated Servers and Security

The bigger thing to think about is the age of the kernel. CentOS generally has an ancient kernel and system libraries. Something to think about if you want a kernel with some particular functionality or optimization built-in.

True.

CentOS tends to have ancient, but completely stable kernels/packages. Good for running a server, because you donā€™t often have to worry about instability.

Ubuntu, new version every 6 months. At most your software is only outdated by that much (But it does package pretty much any stable release into updates).

Arch, one of many ā€˜Rolling Releaseā€™ platforms, that ensure youā€™re on the bleeding edge. Definitely not optimal for servers, due to the much higher chance of instability.

Note, I realize that CentOS/Ubuntu/Arch arenā€™t an inclusive list. Just some of the more popular.

Thatā€™s interesting, that must be relatively new because I know nothing like that was around when I started using FreeBSD. chroot isnā€™t a bad option either, but in my opinion nothing beats a fully isolated system whether it be Jails or LXC both for security and the ease of doing backups/upgrades.

Next project for this weekend will be playing around with LXC and see if thatā€™s a viable option for me, only problem with FreeBSD is that not everyone ā€œsupportsā€ it so some software is either impossible to run on it or requires the Linux binary compatibility module (which is how my Starbound server runs due to Steam dependency, and it is a pain)

1 Like