Dev Group: Teleportation / Portals

Eh. Iā€™m waiting on Forge 1.8 in order to do the main tests I need to set down custom sponge blocks. So I guess the universe is just conspiring to get this thing done X)

1 Like

Dammit how do you guys get out such good, clean code in so little time. I envy you. Are you a programmer professionally?

1 Like

I do independent contracting, and Iā€™ve even done for-pay Bukkit and Forge plugin development, but Iā€™ve been out of work for a while. Soā€¦ wink, wink, all you code shops that are hiring, Iā€™m unattached!

lol

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be rewriting my Waypoints plugin for Sponge, which has an emphasis on the playerā€™s experience. With the Components system, Iā€™ll be able to provide even more customization (like configurable porting effects) and cleaner execution, without exposing the player to commands.

The big difference is that itā€™s about letting the player/adminstrator build the desired frame and place their portals over it. I might put in a feature to require defined frames in order to funtion.

If you wanted to create a ā€˜Stargateā€™ type plugin I always like this idea using signs:
(Imagine a sign looking like this):

First row: Town
Second Row: Shops
Third Row: > Spawn
Fourth Row: Spleef

Then if you right clicked the sign itā€™d change to:

First row: Spleef
Second Row: Town
Third Row: > Shops
Fourth Row: Spawn

then youā€™d pull the lever, enter the portal, then the next person can release the lever and change to where they want to go.

We could do more than just one type of portal but have an ultimate portal plugin with all kinds of different types of portals, and then if somebody has another portal idea they could create an addition or request ideas.

The only issue is if not everybody gets their fair share of appreciation or creditability nobody will want to add additions and will just create their own plugin, also if that developer wants donations for their plugin they wonā€™t really want to make an addition to a plugin where a lot of people are making additions.

Overall I like the idea of having 1 central plugin with community modifications and advancements, that way there wonā€™t be 100 portal plugins, 100 grief-protection plugins, etc and a lot more organization and ease for servers.

1 Like

Thats how I made my portals in Pl3xGates (linked in previous post). Its my favorite kind of portal style/type. :slight_smile:

Probably should of watched the video then, haha. I like a style like that, also. Itā€™s clean and easy to use, you could even just use a lever that will auto retrach on the signs then a button for the portal, then when the lever is pulled the gate resets until the button is pressed.

I had an in-development plugin called Transporters. I wanted it to be like Star Trek transporters. Worked really well, but I didnā€™t get a chance to finish it before bukkit kicked theā€¦ well.

I based the linking on the LapisPortals plugin, using a chest with items in it- the same items would link to each other. So players didnā€™t have to learn any commands.

In case you guys are interested: the project has been started by falkreon, and you can find his commit on github.com/falkreon. I created an organization, PortalAPIDevGroup which you can find at github.com/PortalAPIDevGroup (obviously) and I will add you to contributors if you want to seriously participate in laying down the code. On the organization page youā€™ll also find the latest fork.

Iā€™d suggest an idea like in Stargate (http://forum.thedgtl.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5), where you could choose the id of the opened/closed portal gate (water, lava or anything else).

It also has a good idea when talking about custom portals, allowing administrators to set the output of their portals, design and other things (I donā€™t know a way to bring it to the player side).

Iā€™d like anyone serious about considering this, to have a look at how multiworld2/3 was approaching OpenWarps to learn from their mistakes/successes.

Hi, when will be ready the first working development build? And will it be compatible with the latest Sponge build?

Have a look at this:

:smile:

Not yetā€¦ let me fix it first :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

OK :slight_smile: hope it will be soon. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s fixed now :smile:

Thanks, I will test it :slight_smile:

Doesnā€™t work with the latest Sponge 613 :frowning:
Edit 1: With Sponge 651 too :frowning:

I just made a PR, so just wait for the author.

On 671 it doesnā€™t work too.