Diving into Sponge Development and development in general!

Hey!

I’ve been lurking these forums for roughly 6 months now and have finally caved in. I want to start developing Sponge plugins! I understand that Java is the language I would want to study, but I am finding it difficult to learn as I can’t seem to ‘think in code’. Are there any resources and/or other languages that would be better to learn in order to make my transition to Java easier?

Thanks for any help! :v:

Oracle’s Java tutorials are quite neat. Here’s a link to the basic stuffs - http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/

2 Likes

Thanks! Going to check it out now! :smile:

I want to Start programming too. If anyone knows a few more tutorials, feel free to share them with us!.

Unfortunately i know a bit html/CSS and VBA only, but no oop language like Java or c#.

Best tutorial I had was just getting started and googling everything :smile:.
Than if you understand the syntax and basic usage of classes. Learn your patterns and OO !!!
(Actually it might be better to start learning oo instead of googling … )

1 Like

I’ve heard good things from people that bought these books:

I was personally recommended this one:

The Java Tutorial: A Short Course on the Basics

There are no easier languages than Java there (in my opinion). If you look at something like C++ then its really hard (at least for me) its just a giant mess but still has so many benefits.
If you want to start programming in Java (especially minecraft Plugins) i would recommend you to watch some tutorials in YouTube for bukkit mainly because there are TONS of them and bukkit is similar and learning Java only without the Sponge/Bukkit extension will not help you.
But if you really want to Programm in sponge you should watch this youtuber https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOj6lKphOOen2er_lQz7niw?app=desktop i watched him mainly to get the changes of sponge between bukkit (@Subscribe, @Plugin, Commands) but bis tutorials are pretty noob friendly and easy to understand.

My main purpose is not to be able to code Sponge, although that would be an added bonus. I want to be able to create games, programs and applications, and at the moment it seems like Minecraft is one of the easier platforms to create games on!

I dont get you!
How do you want create games in minecraft without plugins (with commandblocks hahaha) ?

Oh no! Of course I want to do it through plugins haha! Much more freedom! Just saying my overall goal from this is to learn to think in code to be able to translate my ideas into code :smile:

Yes this is exaclty what my long post is about.
or do you dont know what sponge is ?

Oh sorry you missunderstood me and i missunderstood you whatever. Of course i did not say you have to code sponge thats too advanced but code on top of sponge (Plugins, Mods or both).

1 Like

I would say Python and JavaScript are easier to begin programming with.

I would suggest learning the basic structures of any logical process. Things like flowcharts, looping, conditional branching etc.

Way back before I really knew how to program, I remember using programs such as Flowol, Scratch and a few other things (this was back when I was in middle school, age ~12yrs).
Something especially like Scratch is good at showing you interactivity how the computer executes the ‘code’ you write (it’s actually drag’n’drop block structures).
But yeah, you can jump straight into programming (I recommend Python) too.

Just my input.

Scratch is not that fun.
We had to use this at school.
The best to get started is in my opinion minecraft with computercraft :smile: it is lua and easy to understand and you habe your own useful code. I always like to Programm a simple stripmine script vor such.

Learning to code with Java, for most people who move beyond that language, will agree that it is a crutch.

Pick up and study a lower level language first.

1 Like

BTW you can code a simple heal plugin eg. /heal sets your health and saturation to max. Thats how i startend :wink: .

I disagree, C++ is much harder and complicated than Java.

Firstly, I didn’t say C++. I said a lower-level language. Secondly, that’s the point.

You shouldn’t worry or complain about what’s harder, or what’s more complicated. You should be worried about which language you start with will teach you more about how programming and the computers which receive them work.

Computercraft is a good suggestion