Dumb question, memory allocation

I have a 4G server hosted by Xenonservers, that has decided to change my IP tomorrow. I’ve decided to wipe my server clean and reinstall my (bukkit) plugins, in hopes of ridding myself of the Io.netty,readtimeout error. While I was looking at my command line, it looks like so: TC70517361736206746874183 50.31.65.200 25565 -Xms128M -jar craftbukkit-1.7.10-R0.1.jar
If i have a 4G server, does that mean I have only been dedicating 128M to it? (I upgraded along the way.) What would be an appropriate amount of memory to put on that line? Feeling stupid to own a server three years and not understand what the command line actually means… :person_with_pouting_face:

I’m not sure if something caused it to go back to that (probably the upgrade, but I can’t be sure)
IIRC you can set it to use exactly 4Gb’s if you replace the ‘-Xms128M’ line with ‘-Xmx4G -Xms4G’

Hope this helps!

1 Like

-Xms
Specifies the initial size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool.

-Xmx
Specifies the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool.

Simply put, your server starts out with the amount of memory specified by -Xms and will allocate more if it needs to. -Xmx is the upper limit.

2 Likes

Bah, I have now discovered that XNS only allows me to change the bukkit number. No wonder I’ve never tried changing it. It would be nice to set the upper limit though.