How are Smaller/Project Servers Going to Survive

Can we not argue “loopholes” or whether you can/cannot follow the EULA.

The OP is asking how people can work with the EULA, not around it.

1 Like

Yes I was @mrfrase3!

People can work with the EULA by not hosting a server.

£15 doesn’t seem like much, why not worry about making it for friends/family to enjoy first then advertise it…

Don’t think people would donate or pay towards a part done server?

If you cant deal with working around it well, in my personal opinion, don’t run a server @Lokio27. Servers have to adapt, and many of them have with great success.

Oh no, Patreon is going to be launched for the full server once everything is completed. :smile: We will completely finish the project before collecting funds from Patreon etc. @Smir

Apparently MinePlex doesnt have to adapt.

You do realise @Lokio27, that Mineplex are allowed to do that, because they are within the EULA regulations. There ranks give players only things stated in the EULA, such as particle effects, mounts, prefixes. Things such as removing adds are allowed to be sold, so Mineplex are 110% in the right, they are allowed to do this. And so is everyone else on their servers, as long as the content you are selling effects the game play element. Basically, you are not allowed to have your server be a play to win game, simply make it fair.

And plus, Mineplex’s coins can only be used to buy aesthetic items.

Hats
HATS
HAAAAATS

1 Like

I’ve run my server for over 4 years, sunk thousands into it and am still around :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve had kits and special perks, not necessarily pay to win but there was certainly an advantage to buying a pack.
Now I’m looking at stretch goals, but currently have nothing set up. My server was fully funded last month and a couple of months before that entirely by people just simply donating.
I think people are more likely to donate if they genuinely enjoy the server and experience they have.
You’ll have a community that sticks around longer if it’s a good server :smile:

3 Likes

I looked around at quite a few different hosting options, but in the end for “mines of Moria” I went with a custom built HP ENVY (for portability) maxed out on memory and tied directly into my 100mb/s fiber line. Its running Xubuntu so I can completely control everything about the server.

Granted we are a small server and have a user limit of like 30 people, but the only thing I pay for now is the DNS/domain registration of around $60/year through DYNDNS.

Using a laptop with the server hosted on a scandisk 128gb SD card allows my server to be portable and can be left in place, or taken to conventions with me.

$60 seems like quite a lot of money for a domain.

1 Like

I actually own 3 domains, but for that price they also include email, health checks and many other services. I’ve had them for 9 years now and they’ve always been there for me.

Didn’t read through this topic, so forgive me, I’m sure this has already been stated…

Furthermore, this topic is old, but I feel like this is still relevant and worth stating.

Don’t spend money you don’t have to host a project server. Furthermore, don’t try and incorporate donations into your idea, create something people want to play, and grow your playerbase first, otherwise you’re just going to end up looking like another cash cow server. these days you’re likely to be dissapointed. When all of this donation business became a thing in late 2012/2013, it was easy for some run of the mill server to make cash quick offering donation perks, etc. Now, the EULA + the plethora of other run of the mill servers make it nearly impossible to bring in a boat load of money each month… unless of course you are some established network with thousands of players willing to throw cash at you.

Start small with a virtual server, or perhaps a small SyS box that you can easily pay for out of pocket, then when your playerbase grows, perhaps begin donations.

Its nice to see that people can still relate to what I was experiencing a few months ago. I and my team have got quite far, since I began this post in the Evalonia Server development.

I and my developer, who I trust very well have decided to go down the VPS route running a version of Linux (to increase performance). Although this isn’t for definite, it certainly is the best option we have as of yet. We will be able to host the server from the VPS along with any other off server things such as the website etc.

On another note, all this hard work and effort I and my team have been putting into the project is greatly appreciated and the support we have been getting on our social media sites and on the Sponge Forums have been immensely helpful, providing us with the determination and motivation to carry on with the project when things have got tough.

I just want to say, the project of Evalonia is still going ahead and we wont stop until we see it to it’s end.