How to setup your workspace and test your plugin?

Okay so here I am appearantly a so called “noob” i guess xD. So i have been trying to setup my workspace so I could develop a plugin for sponge. But i couldn’t get it all to work nor how to test the plugin. So I am requesting a tutorial for us on how to setup your workspace and how to test your plugins. Hope someone takes the time to do this for us. And ofcourse thank you for your time!

Take a look wether our brand new documentation can help you: https://docs.spongepowered.org/en/latest/plugins/workspace/

If it can’t, go scream at @Inscrutable (JK, don’t)

1 Like

haha yeah i took a look at that before but I think the biggest problem for us is how can we test our plugins?

Can’t at the moment, as there is no (working) implementation.

ohh I hear people talking about compiling from the githun or something, probrably misunderstood them then xD. thank you

@TBotV63 can you please explain what exactly the implementation is going to be? Is it like a forge mod, a server, or what?

the implementation is the modified minecraft server that you can use to run the sponge plugins on. and what i was talking about to tbot is that I tought i hear someone say that you could compile a really unstable version of this implementation from the github but I appearantly was wrong ^^.
edit: the client will then be the vanilla minecraft client.

@disconsented ok so the server implementation will be glowstone and the client implementation will be forge? Or am i completely wrong?

@thimovss Yea, sorry kind of off topic but i’m not sure what what the Forge implementation is or how that would be any different (if at all) from using sponge plugins for glowstone

There will be client and server implementations for Forge and just a server implementation just for Glowstone

@disconsented Ahh I see, but how the API can remain the constant across a client and server then?

Sponge is not going to be a client mod. It is a coremod that only needs to run on the forge server. If you have any other mods in addition to sponge on the forge server your players will have to use the forge client with that mod installed but if you are only running the sponge mod on the forge server as of 1.8 they should be able to connect with a vanila client because sponge is 100% server side. So in answer to your question the API is server-side only, it doesn’t deal with the workings of the client other than sending packets which should be the same across glowstone and forge. The only reason forge even has a client side implementation is for the purpose of other forge mods, the client representation of forge is not involved w/ sponge.

1 Like

@RobodudeMC Thank you! Now I get it :smile:

“Can be used to write client mods.”
Sponge FAQ
Sponge will have a (optional) clientside component

1 Like

[Obligatory Edvard Munch gif goes here]
Actually, if the pages aren’t sufficient for your needs yet, please let us know what’s missing. Or better yet, make a nice well-planned Pull Request on SpongeDocs Git :wink: I know some of those pages are a little light on words, but I hope they contain the correct code snippets.

Although planned, this may well turn out to be true, as plans for the client-side components are set in the far distant future :stuck_out_tongue: So far that we haven’t even a Docs page for it, just a plan for an empty stub.

Technically, you could compile an ultra-unstable version of it yourself (If it’s not brokent at the moment) But that won’t let you test anything but writing “Hello World” into the log.

Sorry, missed that part about client side mods, the last time I heard that mentioned it was just a rumor. Frankly I am not exactly sure how that would work… would it just be an improvement over the ForgeAPI to make it more useful to decrease the amount of base code modification? Thats the only way I could see it working, correct me if I am wrong.

It’s basically being able to use plugins in singleplayer.

2 Likes