I'm a little confused ... bukkit plugins will work in sponge?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Pore. If you’re headstrong about sticking with Bukkit but you want to move ahead with Sponge (at least until the plugins you need get ported or coded for Sponge) then keep an eye on Pore.

2 Likes

You are still assuming that the Sponge and Bukkit functions are completely one for one. They arent. Hence why theres Pore, not just some random Bukkit->Sponge converter. If it was so easy, it wouldve been done first off (And also a likely GPL violation).

I would love to see bukkit stuff up and running before they fully are 
sponge so I can get my server back online. Had to white list the server 
to limit admins only to keep my server protected.

So you want Sponge to develop support for Bukkit before Sponge is even finished? What? No.

Sponge is Sponge, and you will need to code Sponge plugins for it.

3 Likes

There’s your problem.

No need to be rude about it.

2 Likes

Just giving ideas. It least I am trying explain stuff and helping out the community. A good programmer should be able to see what the concept was and to make the correct code.

SpongeAPI is still not complete and we still do not know all that the API will be added that can translate bukkit into spongeAPI. and that d=1 one was like the sponge change formats and required additional parameter to their function and it was a visual of that could be accomplished. A java writer would be able to put that in the java syntax. I wish they put the plugins in a different folder then the mod folder. I would have loved it as a different named plugin folder myself. like s_plugins or such.

I do not want sponge to put in in there but will be watching the plugin “pore”.

See, you’re getting stuck on this, and that’s where your misunderstanding comes in. It’s easy to replace the syntax. Super simple. The problem is that Java isn’t just syntax. It’s more than just replacing words and letters and numbers.

The problem is that when you change those “words”, you need to modify the imports, the dependencies, and re-build the project. EACH TIME. Assuming we even had the resources to make a built-in way to convert Bukkit plugins, it would take SO MUCH LONGER to boot a server.

The most realistic possibility here would be to create a separate implementation (probably forked from SpongeVanilla) called SpongeBukkit, include the Bukkit API inside it, and then pull code from CraftBukkit to incorporate the additional support.

Some of that goes against copyright, and is difficult.

There will most likely NEVER come a time where we natively support Bukkit, and at least until we finish Sponge docs before we even decide if we want to document the differences between the two.

The biggest catch for the latter being, if we at some point decide to document the differences between the two APIs, we’d also need to think about supporting the documentation of other APIs, to have some kind of equality.

For now, please just support our decision on this.

Just to comment on this, and I think most people will agree with me. Even if we did this, no decent, self-respecting programmer would want to rely on an automatic conversion utility.

4 Likes

I’ve used automatic conversion utilities before to convert some classes from vb.net to c# that used the same API’s.

That would be trivial to port, as all that changes is the syntax / grammer not the entire .net API backing the project.

However SpongeAPI approaches several concepts differently then bukkit did. it’s not just a change of syntax, grammar or a matter to just add missing variables.

SpongeAPI from the start has been a new Minecraft API in much the same way that Bukkit was a new API compared to hMod.

At the present moment, there is 0 benefit from porting plugins to Sponge as opposed to forge.

But when Sponge eventually announce a stable API build, breaking changes between versions will not be the norm, and plugins made for Sponge will likely stick around for years, much the same way Bukkit plugins have previously.

Forge has never made that promise, and prefers to keep things closer to minecraft internals, and thus the regular breaking changes.

1 Like

sorry for the late reply but quester i can just write down the stuff that was already made and move to another mod if theirs a quest one for forge. all quester is. is a custom npc system through signs

That’s not how things work, but I wish you all the luck in the world. :smiley: