Input wanted: The History of Sponge and Spongie

When the development of Bukkit, Cauldron and MCPC+ were halted by a DMCA take-down notice

Both Bukkit and MCPC+ died before any DMCA notice was given.

1 Like

Well technically there was a possibility to continue the development, they just lacked devs and staff on bukkit. Even Dinnerbone himself stated that he will update to 1.8.
Now there isn’t a possibility anymore due to DMCA on Craftbukkit, MCPC+ and Cauldron.

1 Like

MCPC+ died at MC 1.5.2, and there werent any bukkit developers left after mojang locked repos from everyone, and started demoting people on bukkit forums.

Saying the DMCA caused this is false.

He’s not saying that. The statement is that development was (permanently) halted by the DMCA take-down. It may have been the last straw on the back of an impressively-laden camel, but that’s another story. We really don’t want to get into the nitty-gritty of the last days of Bukkit, as that’s not what this doc is about, and it would end up being a point of contention. We just want to show where the Sponge Project came from.

2 Likes

Again, development was not halted by the DMCA. I understand that it shouldnt focus on anything that isnt sponge, but blaming the DMCA for this is false.

Yes, i’m aware of that and got your point too. The thing is that we see this issue from another perspective than you. For me the step that made the further development of bukkit and cauldron impossible is infact the dmca and not the staff quitting. Staff can be replaced, but you can not ignore the dmca.

It’s not about the cause but the result. the first halt of bukkit development was due to staff quitting, right. But the final (and for us only relevant) step was the dmca which finally killed bukkit/craftbukkit.

We seem to be arguing over semantics.
From my POV, further development was made impossible due to the forced closure of the Craftbukkit Repo.
From your POV (if I understand you correctly), development stopped because the staff were dismissed and/or resigned.
Both statements appear to be correct.
I appreciate your willingness to help with this doc, and your grasp of our focus. If you really think we need to amend this a bit, you can chat with us on the IRC channet #spongedocs - or even drop by the docs on GitHub and make a comment or a PR. This has always been a community-driven project, and contributions from the community are always welcome.

1 Like

For reference:

the above mentioned issue was just resolved here:

2 Likes

Why is spongie a girl?

It was her decision. You have to respect that.

5 Likes