Irritating IDE problems

Clarification:
Share your own mishaps with IDEs here!

I think I found the problem.

8 Likes

For future reference, Eclipse has a lovely Clean button for such situations. :slight_smile:

A lot of the “errors appear in my ide that don’t appear in my build” or “errors appear in my build but not in my IDE” are caused by mis-matched compilers or settings.

Like it might be set for a certain bug being detected to be an error in my IDE, (possible null pointer exception detection) but be fine in the build, but still appear as an error due to the appearance settings in the IDE (Because warnings are too often commonly ignored compared to errors)

Other times, it can be because there is a source pre-processor that has/hasn’t been applied and the IDE has/hasn’t noticed because it’s cached the error states.

Also especially with eclipse, the eclipse compiler is more lenient then the javac compiler, so rarely your code might work in eclipse but not in the gradle build.

I’m having the exact same issue.

Sorry but you can’t blame the IDE for this. If it says you have an error, read the error. Eclipse will always tell you the source of the error in the list and this tells you where to fix the problem. For code errors you can actually just double-click the error itself to go straight to the source of the error.

For project errors, actually reading the error will 9 times out of 10 tell you how to solve it.

If you’re totally stuck, do the following:

• Project → Clean → Clean All Projects
  • For a project reporting classpath errors, right click the project and choose Gradle → Refresh Dependencies
  • Ensure you’re using up-to-date source, sometimes errors actually creep into the source on github and you could be trying to build something which is actually broken.

What? Why wouldn’t saving be the first thing you do? Something doesn’t really add up here.

Quite a lot of the time when people complain about issues with their IDE, it’s a PEBKAC issue rather than than actually a problem with the IDE. I really disklike IntelliJ but that doesn’t mean I would blame it for my own mistakes.

3 Likes

Always hit “save all” before inspecting errors :wink:

Most phantom errors in Eclipse are because you make changes, it auto builds the project (for Java it supports auto building, at least), has an error that lights up, you fix it, don’t save, so it doesn’t auto build, then wonder what is wrong.