LuckPerms | An advanced permissions plugin

Ok, default permissions & prefixes/suffixes should be fixed.

@Branjazz790 try with the latest build. :slight_smile:

ill take a look now and let you know

EDIT: yep it works fine now thankyou lots for fixing this, it means i can push out the permissions plugin either tonight or tomorrow for my server. if i find anything else wrong/ideas i will let you know :smile:

2 Likes

Hey man, thanks for the support and the continued updates! It works like a charm! <3

Iā€™m glad! I know it has taken a while, but thanks for sticking with me. :heart:

A small problem iā€™ve encountered so far, not major. Is that disabeling the /help command doesnā€™t work. Players can still use that command. But i think this is a Sponge problem. As disabeling other vanilla commands does seem to work? Oh well.

Which node are you using?

I seem to be having a little problem with this error.

[11:38:01] [Server thread/WARN] [luckperms]: Couldnā€™t get subject for: 4a1aaece-
3f55-4857-83e0-dea6c2249b73

and it spams my console during startup, and when players login. The uuid changes

A plugin youā€™re using is trying to retrieve user data for a user that doesnā€™t exist. (Just lookup the UUID in NameMC, itā€™s fake.) The error could also be caused if a plugin tries to load a user who isnā€™t online.

Itā€™s not a huge issue, LuckPerms will just create and return a temporary fake user to the plugin. One caveat is that the user is never saved, so any changes made to it will not persist. I was told by blood that this isnā€™t a problem, maybe it is though?

Iā€™m guessing youā€™re using GriefPrevention? I can remove the output if itā€™s obnoxious, but I guess you can just ignore it though? Let me know what you think is best. :slight_smile:

Yeah using GP from Blood lol. Doesnā€™t sponge have the option to add the fake uuids? Itā€™s around 10-15 lines of that warning during startup and first player login. Maybe add an option in the config to turn that warning off?

Sure.

Use the latest CI build, and make sure ā€œdebug-permission-checksā€ is set to false in the LP config.
https://github.com/lucko/LuckPerms/commit/becdfd6f037895939f17cdfd0eb608b8963447bb

Wow that was fast o.0 Amazing work and Iā€™ve been waiting for a permissions plugin this amazing andā€¦ a lot easier to use then Pex, plus the json support. Your my hero ^.^

1 Like

Oh! I was also having an issue with players still having a groups permissions, even after i restored their primarygroup to default and removed all unnecessary nodes attached to the player. Only a server restart fixed the issue. /perms sync did not solve the issue

Working fine for me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe it was broken in one of the older builds? If itā€™s still not working, I ideally need reproducible steps. :slight_smile:

It wasnā€™t an every time thing though is the problem xD
Itā€™s happened 3 times in 2 days of testing so I donā€™t think itā€™s really a problem.
Iā€™ve had to redo the servers entire perms 3 times now in 2 weeks >.< switching perms managers sucks.

Also. Heh, I had some weird problems with GP I hope you can help me with, I essentially have to add the flag permission to the default group under the claims uuid for the effects to actually work. I can explain further and tell you exact steps for that

Ahh, well, race conditions are probably my favourite thing in the whole world, Iā€™ll try to look into it. sigh :wink:

Iā€™m not really qualified to answer questions about GP, and this is the wrong place too, but if itā€™s an issue that didnā€™t occur under PEX / any other permissions plugin, then Iā€™ll happily look into it. But uh yeah, more info please. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s a defaults issue? If so, yeah thatā€™s probably my fault. :smiley:

Yeah it doesnā€™t happen when using Pex because GP automatically creates the permissions inside the permissions file. I donā€™t think it has anywhere to send the permission flag nodes to for overrides. @blood

Iā€™ll let you know if it happens again once I update the version of luckperms.

How does one confirm ā€œdefault permsā€ are being generatedā€¦ I see folks speak about them but not anything specific on what luckperms should show AS the default perms on first run for players to successfully do at least the minimum at first runā€¦ Am I missing this somewhere?
Thank you very much for this pluginā€¦ itā€™s so much easier than Pexā€¦ :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure about how PEX handles defaults, although your message gives me the impression that they get set once and then saved into an actual group?

Anyway, my approach in LuckPerms follows a somewhat similar method to the way Bukkit does it.
When a plugin checks if a user has a permission:

1. Check if the user explicitly has or inherits the permission node.
  2. If the config is set to apply wildcards, check if the user has a suitable wildcard permission. (both ā€œsomething.something.*ā€ and ā€œsomething.somethingā€ are supported now. Sponge encourages the latter)
  3. If the config is set to apply regex permissions, check if any of the userā€™s regex nodes match the permission being checked for.
  4. Check the default permissions and return the default value, if any.

So to answer your first question, thereā€™s not really any command you can use to test. The default permissions are never actually saved anywhere, they are just queried as and when theyā€™re needed. (whenever a plugin checks if a user has a permission)

I guess you can just try to use a command that is given by default?

Obviously if you want to add your own default permissions (perhaps thatā€™s what you meant anyways??), you can just add permissions to the ā€œdefaultā€ group - all users inherit it automatically.

The way bukkit / pex2 USED to handle it was with a ā€œpluginā€ called ā€œmodifyworldā€ that allowed you to actually interact with the worldā€¦ Without it you would sit there with a ā€œyou do not have permission to do thatā€ whenever you did ā€œanythingā€ā€¦ You would add the ā€œmodifyworld.*ā€ permission to either each user or their group in the permissions save file.
There was also the * permission for adminsā€¦ I could wrap my head around that, it makes sense. Then adding each layer of additional permissions per mod.
Now that weā€™re in 2016 and other folks have intergrated ā€œtheirā€ perception of more ā€œstreamlinedā€ permissionsā€¦ here came Pex3! I get lost and I think itā€™s because no one ever clarified what supplanted the need for ā€œmodifyworldā€ā€¦ What permissions do the users require as a default to do anything. If noneā€¦ thatā€™s great but when you install a plugin for permissions and you donā€™t have an inkling of what BASIC permissions are required to just playā€¦ when you get errors well I guess you can put together the quandry I find myself in. I can troubleshoot almost any problem IF I know at least the baseline of what I should haveā€¦
Thank you for your time Luck :wink: and thank you for luckperms :wink:

Ah, I understand a bit more what you mean now. :slight_smile:

The idea is, plugin authors register with the server which permissions should be ā€œdefaultā€, and all users should have automatically. I guess that never happened with ModifyWorld??

So, to just ā€œplayā€, hopefully, you wouldnā€™t need to give any permissions at all. Of course, that depends on which plugins you decide to use, and itā€™s more likely that you will have to do some configuring.

Most plugins will have documentation pages which explain the permissions needed to use different parts of the plugin, and it might say whether the permissions are granted by default too. Itā€™s just a case of reading through the documentation and checking to see if you need/want to give your users access.

Or, just remove all permissions from yourself, and test that way. If you find thereā€™s something you canā€™t do, itā€™s just a case of looking up what the permission node is.