Marketplace for Sponge plugins

Hi there, I have a question regarding if there will be a marketplace for server (or client) resources.

I can see Sponge approaching this in two ways;

1. Disallowing the talk about and transactions of resources on the official Sponge website where money is involved (like what Bukkit previously has been doing).
  2. Allowing premium resources to be uploaded provided some moderate rules are met (like what Spigot previously has been doing).

I haven’t come across this topic yet in particular, so I apologize in advance if this has already been brought up.

In my opinion you should not make money off the Sponge Project by selling plugins/mods publicly in some kind of marketplace. I’m fine with selling/developing plugins privately but I’m against having some kind of marketplace where the source code is concealed.

6 Likes

It is my opinion that we should not support paid plugins due to the following section of the Minecraft EULA:

OWNERSHIP OF OUR GAME AND OTHER THINGS

Any tools you write for the Game from scratch belong to you. Modifications to the Game (“Mods”) (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and plugins for the Game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don‘t sell them for money / try to make money from them. We have the final say on what constitutes a tool/mod/plugin and what doesn’t.

As I do not condone violating the EULA, I believe we therefore should not permit the sale of paid/“premium” plugins. Furthermore, having exclusive assets available is contrary to my ethos that all assets should to be available to and used by the community as a whole, not merely for the privileged few.

11 Likes

Honestly, the #2 approach would be horrible. I’d say since the whole Sponge project is open-source and overall very community-driven it’d be a shame to provide “premium resources”. This would end up in having too many premium resources (most of them not even worth money - see spigot), I guess.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for clearing it up. :slight_smile: