Modifying an init.d service to support Sponge

Hi, I forked minecraft-init made by Ahtenus and added proper Spigot support, but given the current Bukkit/Spigot situation, I was wondering how hard it would be to add Sponge support. The server can still be run using the same Bukkit invocation (see below), or will I need to remove some of those options? I noticed that certain java programs do not like many of those options. Thanks for any feedback!

# Variables
MAXMEM=2048m
INITMEM=512m
CPU_COUNT=4
SERVICE=bukkit.jar

# Invocation
java -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Xmx$MAXMEM -Xms$INITMEM -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=$CPU_COUNT -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar $SERVICE nogui

Your startscript is essentially just starting a jar (java -jar <myjar>) with some fancy JVM options.
They are not wrong, but other options might result in better performance I’m not sure if the noguioption exists in forge. While you are trimming your JVM options, you might wan’t to add the -serveroption, it makes boot a bit slower but will result in higher performance long term.

On a side note: You can set your MAXMEM=2g.

1 Like

Chances are, flags optimized to launch Forge server is what you’d want to look at, considering Sponge is to be a Forge mod. I’m not sure if Forge mods actually add any flags to the Forge server start.

So far I know forge has some debug VM flags. But those are useless if you want to run a server.

Thanks everyone. @n1b I keep it set in MB because I’m OCD, and I like to keep all sizes in one unit. Thanks for the -server tip.