@Mojang: Please, just finish and release the official Minecraft API!

It can’t be so difficult! Mojang hired the Bukkit developers, they merged single- and multiplayer, they added a nice extendable ressource system, they get money for their work, and it’s a full time job!

It just makes me sad that hobby developers have to spend their time on hacking the minecraft code, writing an API and updating it with every Minecraft update instead of creating new content for the game (plugins, mods, tools, maps)!

Many features of Minecraft were taken from mods, and the multiplayer was useless without server mods! Minecraft on PC is still popular because people can play together on servers, or modify the game experience with mods.

A year ago, Mojang answered some questions (e.g. that it’s a plugin, not a mod api) and added an issue tracker for API suggestions. They commented on proposals and there even was a github repository for the API.
Then they stopped talking about it entirely, the repository was removed and the issue tracker is filled with bug reports.

They could

• at least tell us why it is taking so long, and summarize what they are working on every month
  • show us a draft, so we can make our own APIs compatible with the future API!
  • or even make the development public (like the sponge project)

It just makes me angry that my plugin work could be worthless when they finally release the API.
Just imagine that they release it in 2 months, right when the Sponge project is reasy to use!

From minecraftwiki:

Initally called the Modding API, it has been planned in some capacity since at least July 5, 2010, shortly after the release of Alpha 1.0.1_01.[5] It was then stated to be released in Beta 1.8.[6]
The Modding API was then rebranded as the Plugin API, with the release
originally stated to be planned for 1.3, then for 1.4, and then it was
accidentally stated by Curse that it would be implemented in 1.5, but
has since been delayed.

2 Likes

This forum has nothing to do with Mojang. I don’t see the point in this post except to bitch about them, which really isn’t going to accomplish much and I’m pretty sure is against the forum rules.

[13:55:52] <hunterb> Can you speak about the timeframe for the API release? (this year? few years from now?)
[13:56:03] <Grum> no
[13:56:10] <Grum> still lots of prep work to do
[13:58:38] <hunterb> ok, well from a player/dev point of view, Mojang has fallen silent and it feels like you guys are avoiding talking about it. Something like an open discussion session (similar to the one we had a few years ago) would be extremely beneficial.
[13:59:56] <Grum> not at all
[13:59:59] <Grum> there is very little to say
[14:00:05] <Grum> we're breaking the internals up in pieces so it can be modded
[14:00:11] <Grum> you are seeing the artifacts of that
2 Likes

That’s why he posted in off topic.

1 Like

I recommend waiting an eon or two before worrying about the Modding API. I don’t think they have even started on it yet.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s good or bad what he said…

It’s great that Sponge is not too late, and it will be the standard for some time.

It’s bad that they are so slow, and that they don’t want to talk!