New Server for my Modpack

So i’m currently looking for a new Server because my current Server is to slow for it and cant handle it all.

Current:
Intel Core i7-3770
2x HDD 3,0 TB SATA
4x RAM 8192 MB DDR3

Server i’m interested in:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core
64 GB DDR4
2 x 512 GB NVMe SSD

Or:
Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Hexa-Core Coffee Lake
64 GB DDR4 RAM
2 x 1 TB NVMe SSD

Wich one would be better (Currently 170 Mods und 10+ User) ?

Timings: Aikar's Timings Viewer
TPS: Screenshot by Lightshot

1 Like

Same number of cores/threads.

Benchmarks show they are virtually the same CPU.

So i’d say whichever is cheaper; I tend to have a bias towards Intel; But that is because until recently they have been king of STP which i need for emulation.

1 Like

Based on this
http://hwbench.com/cpus/amd-ryzen-5-3600-vs-intel-core-i7-8700

Both the single core performance are identical (or at least close enough). The Ryzen is faster at multicore but most of mc runs on the same thread, there are some mods that do calculations on another thread, so multithreaded performance could help but wont be likely.

The ryzen does have more cache. So if you don’t know cache is like ram but even faster, so the more of it the better.

However, the processor is not the only thing to consider, Ryzen processors are affected by the speed of the ram (something you haven’t stated). Not only that but SSD performace is not the same for all ssds, so would it be possible to get the read/write speeds of the ssd?

These two values would probably show which of the two systems is better for mc.

I can’t tell you the speed of the ram or SSD, there on no informations about it on the site.
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ax41-nvme

Maybe ask support. Based on the site im guessing they use common parts and build it themselves meaning that it wont be difficult to find out what the name of the ram modules and name of the ssd modules are called. From there you can find out how fast the speeds are.

Also its good to know that the ssds are in raid 1.

If we are lets say for fun use the common values for RAM and SSD like 3200 for the RAM and for the SSD 550 MB read and write 520 MB would that be ok or good or best ?

If it were those values then the ssds are practically the same. The ryzen ssds will probably work slightly faster as they are smaller in size but that would be marginal.

If the ram speed is 3200 then I would still go ryzen but it could be just shy of the single threaded speed of the intel

1 Like

Now that i have a new Server (its the ryzen one) since a few days, Its working really well. No lags at all with almost 15 ppl on it.

EDIT: and 20 TPS constantly

Sounds good. Glad we could help

1 Like

AMD silicon is not recommended for the server. Their performance for what you’re doing cannot complete with i7 (latest) silicon.

There is also not a lot of value added with SDD vs HDD. The reason is the game runs out of RAM. Only when data is retreived from or saved to the persistent storage would it be an issue. And, given today’s silicon and HDD technology it is not poor like 20+ years ago compared to SDD.

Yes, SDD is faster, but it’s not the kind of speed differential that will make all that much difference at run time.

The metrics I would focus on:

1. The silicon (Intel i7 and the actual part number depends on how much you want to spend)
  2. The network on which the server is located. How fat are the pipes to and from that location?
  3. Is it a VPS or the actual box.
  4. RAM. As much as you can afford.

What I do:
I go with Xeon E3. Not as sexy as i7, but the benchmarks are good. Plus I use the box for more than minecraft so that factored into my decision.
I go with OVH - they sit upon fat pipes in their data centers. Difficult to find alternatives for less money
I go with the whole box, never a VPS.
I go with 64G

I spend about $120/month and have done so for about 7 years.

The other thing to get is a second IP address so that you can setup your own DNS (primary and secondaries) on your own machine. This will make your life complete and let you run different named things on the same box (http, minecraft, etc…) all coordinated with the right DNS records and so on. Ping me if you need help with that DNS setup.

Good luck.