Newcomer Questions

Greetings,

Three years back I had hosted a successful server using bukkit. As we all know, it was shutdown last year unfortunately. I’m considering starting one back up with Sponge and simply have a few questions in regards.

Does Sponge operate in a similar fashion as bukkit? Essentials for Sponge appears to have the same format as it did on bukkit regarding the permission / ranking settings and was wondering if most plugins support the same permission system.

Does Sponge currently support any “voting” plugins that can be linked with a website?

Thank you to anyone answering these questions. I like what I see so far I just wanted to clarify these.

1 Like

Yes. If you’re a developer, you can use the Votifier listener API:

Otherwise, you can try VoteRight:

(Note that I haven’t used either, so ask any questions about them on their respective threads.)

1 Like

Sponge was designed to do what bukkit did. It doesn’t guarantee that it will do things in the exact same way. There doesn’t seem to to be a lot of bukkit plugin authors that are actively porting their plugins. As a result, new plugins will replace them. Hopefully once sponge reaches a point of common usage, the big bukkit plugins will be ported or have equivalents in sponge.

If all else fails, MinecraftPortCentral is a thing.

Excellent. I’m curious, do these support in game rewards for votes? I’ve always had trouble getting ‘voting plugins’ to work properly, even with Bukkit.

Check the documentation to see what you can do and how to do it.

I’ll see what I can do. I’m not a developer by any means unfortunately. I’m grateful there’s some talented individuals on this website.

I’m a complete noob to this whole “Sponge” thing. I’m having difficulty even op-ing myself on my server. I’ve installed permissionsex but have no idea how to use it and can’t find any guides on how to use it. It’s much different than it was with bukkit. Do you know of any guides on how to setup permissions or utilize these addons?

There was a revamp of the PEX commands. Here’s a list of the old commands and the new versions: