[OUTDATED] Coming from Bukkit? Here's Some Tips and Tricks to Get you Started

Its true that 83% of statistics are made up on the spot. But on a serious note, I honestly find it hard to believe 75% had issues with it, it was very simple to use and understand. I believe most of the Bukkit staff was prone to overgeneralizing the majority with things like this based on the few that met the generalization… I hope this community doesnt end up like that. I hated seeing staff talk down to others like that instead of helping them out.

3 Likes

With the @Plugin design, my first impression is that more than one plugin can exist within a single built jar. Is this the case?

Right now it appears so.

I really love the @Plugin feature it prevents as well scammers from taking plugins from others and just editing the plugin.yml. Really loving the work being put on Sponge. Will be doing some PRs soon :smiley:

1 Like

The population sampled is very narrow being the forums.

The more important point is that a majority of the problems in the forums were lack of understanding how defaults work and the number of copies of the data.

Trueché, sir! I remember our IRC conversation about number of copies. I’m not going to lie, I still don’t fully grasp that one lmao :stuck_out_tongue:

The one thing that comes to mind if there is no yaml whatsoever, is how the user of the plugin is going to configure the plugin before the plugin runs. Not saying yaml was the best decision, I hated it, but this thought just crossed my mind.

Same way they do with Forge mods i would imagine. Forge already has config capabilities, it would be silly of the Sponge team to not use that.

Oh oh, did not know this. Then yes, get rid of it all! >:D

I always liked YAML for it’s config and it was more of a standard config. Sponge can set it’s own standard config, like XML or whatever Forge uses. Each programmer could use their own config but a standard would be nice so there will be less confusion for server owners who don’t know any languages, and YAML is good with that as it’s made for non-programmers(note why it’s called an “human-readable data serialization format”)

1 Like

I’m glad you took some time out of your day to make this thread. I know it will be a huge help to me and many others.

I like plugin.yml because I can easily disable commands I don’t want from some plugins.

According to the Sponge document, it will probably be using HOCON http://marcinkubala.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/typesafe-config-hocon/ To me it looks like a combination of JSON and YAML…

Hopefully plugin makers will give methods to disable certain commands in the config file or some other way.

Wow, sk89’s explanation of commands feels really dense to me. Can anyone translate that to BigScary-ese, or should I just wait for an example plugin with commands to arrive? :smile:

Commands will be structured into different functions. It will also allow you to create sub commands as well. I’ve seen a structure like this in another system (I think it was CanaryMod). I’ll probably have a nice example once they actually get it implemented.

1 Like

I understood YAML but hated how easy it broke, I hope HOCON is as easy to understand (non programmer here) but breaks a bit less…

I was just going to say that. Yeah, it looks a lot like JSON.

Seems pretty good.
I like the @Plugin part.

I like this very much! Keep up the good work guys!

That’s because both HOCON and YAML are supersets of JSON.