[OUTDATED] Sponge Plugin Coding For Dummies

I’m using Windows :confused:

I’ve already run “gradlew.bat”

edit: I think I may have found the problem executing gradlew.bat’
It runs into a critical error and terminates.

Would you mind posting the error you’ve encountered?

The error I encountered was related to a corrupted java install. I have since completely removed java which was a pain but everything functions is expected now. That is to say it’s not the fault to tutorial.

Got some good news for those interested in this! I’ve been updating it between yesterday and today :smiley: It’s not yet perfect, nor being done updated, but you can at least begin learning about more complex events now!

is this still actual information?

At the moment Sponge isn’t runnable, so we can’t really test to make sure everything is setup correctly…

Yes, it is.

can i ask another question?
for now there is no way to test\run\see plugins?
i saw sources of few mods developing for sponge, i can’t believe that they doing it in blind

Incorrect. Sponge is runnable, but you have to compile it yourself.

But correct in that you can’t test your plugins.

1 Like

Well played, well played…

Hello!

I wonder if I can build the plugin with gradle. I tried it but I only get a jar with the manifest inside, no classes.

What does your build.gradle look like?

I solved the problem in a strange way :smile:
I wanted to copy the build.gradle. I looked over it to cut out the less important things. Then I realized that there is a junit test:

testCompile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.11'

I thought in this case a test is not really necessary. Then I ran again the assemble Gradle-Task, copied the jar (which was now 2 KB instead of 1 KB big) into the mods folder and started the server. It worked!

So: Never rely fully on your IDE. :smirk:

Edit: Now I will test how far I can make plugins with the API.

Edit 2: I see you are German. I’m too :smile:

Actually, the file isn’t generated by the IDE and the test framework shouldn’t make a difference. Interesting… :stuck_out_tongue: Glad you could fix it :smiley:

For anybody that’s still interested in this, don’t worry! I’m still planning on updating this. I just wanted to post a quick update with some information about what I’ve been working on.

First off, the tutorial is moving from Google Docs, to my own hosted website. There are a number of reasons for this. For one, comments will be re-enabled. Each section will have it’s own comments section, so if you need help, it’ll be easy to get it. The guide will also be much more organized. Each section will have it’s own page dedicated to it. The site will also contain my Bukkit Coding for Dummies guide, as well as other tutorials I’ll be writing in the future.

Second of all, I’ve been keeping an eye on Sponge, and have been updating the Google Doc the past couple of days. It’s still somewhat a mess right now, but I’m hoping to have everything up-to-date as soon as Sponge is released.

I should also mention that I’ve finally been able to get both the Sponge Server, and Client to load, and have successfully tested a simple Hello World plugin on each. Glad to know my tutorial works now :slight_smile:

The last thing that I want to say, is that I’m creating a simple mailing list for anybody that’d like updates. I promise, I won’t spam, and your email will stay private. If you’d like to join the mailing list, feel free to PM me your email, and I’ll add you to the list. Updates will probably be, at most, once a month. You can also ask to be removed from the list at anytime.

Anyways, that’s about it. Thank you to all for your comments so far!

4 Likes

@elfin8er It would be nice If you keep the GoogleDoc UpToDate after you moved to your own website, because I actually can Download the Doc as a PDF to view on my Tablet so I can use my Monitors for Coding…

Regards KS_HTK

1 Like