[OUTDATED] The Complete Beginner's Guide to Sponge

But anyone who has previously acquired Spigot (myself) can legally patch it just fine. And even then, they’ve been providing md5 sums so you can check if an off site jar matches. Not saying that getting it from off site is legal, but they’re providing the tools necessary to patch, to the best of their ability, and not breaking any sort of law.

1 Like

They just shift the “breaking law” to another site where the user has to look for. I don’t know if the user that downloads the jar breaks the law.
(In Belgium downloading illegal content was legal, … WAIT WAIT WTF. Changed 7 days ago :frowning:).

They aren’t shifting anything. If others decide to host their files illegally, that’s their decision, not spigot telling them to. I find it unfair to say that spigot is enencouraging illegal downloads, because the reason spigot can’t distribute their old jars anymore is because of DMCA. In response, people are hosting spigot files elsewhere.

Hey guys - how about we have legal debates about non-Sponge software elsewhere, and make sure this thread is kept the helpful guide it’s meant to be? That would be wonderful :smile:

2 Likes

No more legal discussion in this thread. First and final warning. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks SOO much for providing us with this info man! Really appreciate it.

+1 Support.

BTW, Bukkit is back. But you have to build it yourself. http://www.spigotmc.org/wiki/buildtools/

There is a lot of legal debate behind this, and it’s not Bukkit, it’s Spigot.

1 Like

It’s not the real bukkit, It’s a version made by the spigot team (or maybe MD5 only, idunno) for them to turn into Spigot.

2 Likes

@tmad40blue
Yes. You do have to use Forge on your server to use Sponge.

Please can this be changes as you do not need to use forge but it is an option. There are going to be other implementations such as Glowstone and Granite.

How come groupmanager isn’t in there? I am the one who’s familiar with and I don’t like PEX, Which it’s a lot more complicating then it would be. Plus, I would need some Essentials incase, So why not?

1 Like