Paid Plugins

MineTest is taken already. Stick with “Windows 9”, that’s not taken. ;)

8 Likes

Here is the way I see it. If you publish it to the public, you really shouldn’t make it cost money, it goes against the whole open source part of this. Besides I would just go find another person with the plugin and be like “Hey dude, can I get that plugin?” rather than go pay for it. Private development is another story. I have made quite a lot of money developing custom plugins for servers, but those plugins nor their source code were ever publicly distributed and if they were ever distributed by one of my clients it would probably be for free.

But Sponge server is just a mod for Forge.

And, the EULA

“Any tools you write for the Game from scratch belong to you…as long as you don‘t sell them for money / try to make money from them.”

doesn’t say anything about wheather or not your mod is related to the code. It still modifies the game, so it is classified as a “Modification” (“Mod”) no matter how indirect.

The way I see it is, your plugin cannot run without being used on sponge, which runs off forge. This in effect constitutes as an extension to an existing mod. That being said, it would be in violation of the EULA. Even if you were to make another ground up API, or server for minecraft, you would still be under Mojang’s terms, because the server would have to allow the client to connect.

Aside from this, as pointed out before, sponge is an open source project, allowing the selling of plugins and similar resources such as mods would go against the idea behind this community.

The furthest anything should go on the subject of plugin ‘monetization’ should be a “Donate to the developer” button somewhere on the page (if the developer wants this of course).

1 Like

Just to clear something up, because for some reason a lot of people are under the assumption that “Sponge for Forge” is the only implementation planned for the Sponge API:

Anyone selling plugins under the assumption that the product would be used on a “Sponge for Glowstone” implementation would be perfectly within their rights, as neither the SpongeAPI, Sponge, or Glowstone use Minecraft code, nor require Minecraft to run.

Though, anyone developing a plugin for the Sponge API, even if Forge was the only option for implementation, would still be within their rights to sell the plugin, as the Sponge API does not, as the scenario above states, require Minecraft code nor Minecraft to run.

What the customer does what that plugin is entirely outside of the developers control.

(However, I think that directly allowing the sale of Plugins from the Sponge website would be opposing the spirit of the project)

1 Like

Paywall? No.
Clear donate button? Yes.

8 Likes

NO, just no. I mean, like, why would ANYONE want to pay for a plugin? A plugin for sponge is a plugin for minecraft, sponge=(semi-equals)=minecraft. When we do have plugins and mods(i would like to make money off my mod but its kinda illegal) DONT DARE SELL THEM!!! Kapesh?

As shown above, it’s not illegal at all. And, in the past, many people have created plugins for money.

1 Like

Some people kill people and don’t get caught. Just because others do something doesn’t mean its right.

5 Likes

You compared the illegal act of murdering someone to a legitimate (and non-illegal) method of creating money.

I’m completely unaware of how the stigma came about where people making money off of pouring hours and hours of work into giving other people entertainment became a bad thing.

When Microsoft became big enough to dictate as much. That’s like telling the man with the gun that shooting you would be unjust, he might shot you just for contradicting him.

If the license says that making money off a derivative work is illegal then making money off a derivative work is illegal. Doesn’t matter whether that’s dictated by Sponge, Bukkit, or Microsoft

3 Likes

Microsoft doesn’t have any more legal ground to stop plugin developers selling plugin on a software platform that doesn’t use or require their code anymore than companies like Blizzard can stop private servers. There’s just not a case. It’s not illegal.

3 Likes

SpongeAPI isn’t a derivative work of Mojang, and neither are, necessarily, its implementations. SpongeAPI and Glowstone, when combined, would be completely independent of Mojang.

that is irreverent, in a capitalist soseity the one with more money makes the rules, and I don’t know about you, but MS certainly has more money than me.

2 Likes

So far it hasn’t had any legal ground to stand on for the server side since that’s completely independent from any Blizzard code. However, modifying the official client to play on those servers is.

There isn’t a Glowstone implementation, though. And even if that was the case you’d have to tread very carefully to avoid suggesting that they be combined.

In which case, Forge is the platform that’s in danger (until they don’t require Forge to be installed to play on Forge servers).

There isn’t yet, but it’s planned.

As far as having to ‘tread very carefully to avoid suggesting that they be combined’, you’d first have to explain to me why. Plugin Developers would only work with the SpongeAPI. What implementation the customer uses is entirely not up to the developer. They have options. And we, as developers, have completely plausible deniability as to which implementation they use because we literally don’t know what implementation they use. Nor should we care, assuming the SpongeMod is just as good on any platform.

I always loved this way of working, although I never used it: https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/curse-author-rewards-earn-rewards-for-developing-cool-plugins.126931/

3 Likes

I disagree. It doesn’t incentivize having a popular plugin absolutely, but instead only relatively to other plugins. That makes sense, since Curse only has a so large budget to pay from, but I can’t say I’m fond of it. Free premium for devs is pretty cool though (I have had it for months now because of a WildStar addon I published a while back).

I think that this a good idea because people can finally get a reward for their hard work instead of some people complaining about the fact that th plugin isn’t being updated. Maybe their should be a limit on paid plugins or a system where you have to make a set amount of plugins before you can submit a paid one, just to avoid scammers.