šŸ”‘ PermissionsEx v2.0 [API 5]

pex group <group> def true

Makes a group with all permissions by default

2 Likes

yeah, as @MoeBoy76 said, set the default permission to true.

To set a default group, add it as a parent to the system default subject ā€“ so /pex system default parent add group mydefgroup

1 Like

Correct me if im wrong, pex doesnt work at all.

none of the commands work, the command structure doesnt work even when followed properly, any commands @ pex result in : Too Many Arguments!

soo frustrating :frowning: i really need some way to moderate what permissions my users are getting, just wish sponge had more options because as far as i can tell right now PermissionsEx isnt one of them :confused:

It does actually work. Maybe youā€™re doing something wrong?

Uncool approachā€¦

Hereā€™s a quick summary of some example usage of the new PermissionsEx:

• Add perm to group:
    /pex group [group] perm [example.permission] true

• Put a player in a group:
    /pex user [user] parent add group [group]

• Mark a group as default:
    /pex system default parent add group [group]

• Add a parent to a group:
    /pex group [child] parent add group [parent]

• Create an OP group with all permissions (equivalent to the old, deprecated ā€œ*ā€)
    /pex group [group] def true

• For mod commands, the permission Sponge gives is
    [modid].command.[commandname].
    (Run the command /pex debug to check what permissions are being checked if you are unsure.)

• A more specific example, setting up a simple group called Member:
    /pex group Member perm worldedit.navigation.jumpto true
    /pex group Member option prefix [Member]

• Adding a (currently online) user to that group:
    /pex user [username] parent add group Member

Groups are automatically created by commands as you give them permissions.

I hope that helps solve some of the confusion here, Iā€™m sure Docs for this plugin will be forthcoming in good time.

4 Likes

Thanks this is really helpfull, i should have been more clear with my posts tho sorry about that, my problem right now is that i canā€™t find a working jar for sponge/forge 1.8 and ive tryed a ton of PEX dev jars soo far, by chance do you have a working version i could use Inscrutable?

Ty very much for the reply :slight_smile:

The last test I ran it seemed to be working OK, I was using forge-1.8-11.14.3.1487-universal and sponge-1.8-1487-2.1DEV-515. Iā€™m not sure if the API has been broken since then, but do make sure you use at least the latest RB of Forge (1487) as thatā€™s what Sponge coremod is built against. That said, if you said it has been responding with ā€œtoo many argumentsā€, then it is working, your commands probably arenā€™t quite syntactically correct. It is very picky.

1 Like

Awesome tyvm for the helpful input, ill definitely check to make sure my server is using the mentioned forge and sponge builds, hopefully that should fix things right up!

Thanks so much! I was looking for this all along!

So if I use /pex system default parent add group Default it will make Default the group people join when the server correct?

This is rather complicated.

As opinion: I understand there is a learning curve with everything. I also believe that the time spent researching and learning should have an equal payout. To me this is a simple system (even though the backend may have a lot going on that I donā€™t see) that should have a simple solution.

Perhaps this is just because Iā€™ve spent waaaay more time setting up servers than Iā€™ve actually spent playing, but this should be easier.

On the flip side. I do appreciate the effort that programmers put into getting server administrators more involved in the process. It provides some excellent avenues for learning.

Youā€™ll have forgive me for not wanting to add another page/novel to flip through in this notebook I have sitting next to my computer. Gosh dang it, what was that command I was looking for again?

Oh right /endreply -now -windoorsmachine -criticismminimal

Thatā€™s what itā€™ll do ā€“ the groups added to that default group are added as a parent group to every user internally.

This plugin is WIP, commands have some unresolved issues (and arenā€™t the final goal for interaction), and documentation is not done yet. Itā€™d probably also make sense to have some more ingame documentation, but I have been getting a lot of different things to a working level of functionality so I havenā€™t really had time to document things as well as Iā€™d like.

1 Like

I tested this last night, it worked reasonably well, but I came across one rather serious problem:
When I set the default groupā€™s permission-default to false (-1), it then denied the console permission to send commands.
I had to stop the test server the hard way, even though I was opped. (Sponge build 520, Forge 1487).
Another minor quibble: There does not seem to be a way to remove a player from a group, or I canā€™t get the syntax right.

Removing a parent is the same as adding one
/pex user MoeBoy76 parent remove group Admin
or at least it worked last i checked

1 Like

How do I install for my Sponge server? :s

[EDIT 1] I tried putting the Permissions Ex sponge file in the mods folder but it doesnā€™t work. It says in the console that it was an error.

And you never thought it might be useful to post the error or something?

It might still be the No Such Method Error

Yeah, but rather than trying to guess, might as well work with solid information, which users can easily provide

1 Like

Might as well. :stuck_out_tongue: