Server Concept

Hi all! I thought I would post here today to see what you guys would think of this server concept. I’m trying to be as brief as possible just so i don’t over complicate things or chew up to much of my time. Keep in mind that this concept is not completely my idea and has been played on servers for a few years in the past by a small Australian community which has sadly seemed to have ended.

There’s a lot of content for me to explain and it isn’t exactly as simple as explaining a game mode.

• Clans - Similar to the common plugin, factions, replaces power with “dominance”, limits the size of the clan by how many allies and clan members.

• Clan Territories/Claims/Land - Clan land is claimed per chunk, its dependent on clan size, other clans cant access doors unless “a trusted ally”. Blocks can only be destroyed by the clan itself.

• Small PvP Focused Map - The map is about 1k by 1k, clans aren’t afraid to claim land near others, resource spots and safezones are also featured around the map.

• Combat Classes - Each armor set is assigned to a particular armor class, Iron - Warrior ect. Each class has its own assigned abilities. There are two types of abilities/skills, active skills and passive skills. Active skills are usually activate-able by the weapons you carry. Passive skills as simple buffs only effective if you’re wearing the correct class/armor of course.

These are probably the most prominent features that really “make” the genre. If this gains enough attention I can speak of some of the other features that were present.

Feel free to ask questions if you need me to elaborate on anything.

UPDATED

• Clans are supposed to be on the door front of their enemies. Usual base sizes would normally only be 2X2, they’de be built tactically with clever traps or moats surrounding them, as some of the abilities featured ways to pull people in. Small maps create intense pvp, dense pvp and high risk.

• Players adapted to the size of the map, people didnt build bases underground! Majority of the base was above!

• The thrill of being able to leave your base after gearing up and running over to the nearest fight you see. Hoping you’d be able to grab a kill and quickly bank the gear you’ve received. That thrill, that experience, can be experience on regular faction servers with large maps.

• I should also mention that it was fairly hard core. You couldnt teleport to players, or have personal homes. You’de only be able to teleport to your clan home after death. Which meant travelling throughout the map to get to where you needed to go. Whether you didnt want to get killed or if you wanted to kill, it was risky.

• TNT was also not cheap, you wouldnt be able to craft it. You could only buy it from shops, and it was very expensive. Only the largest clans that dominated the map were able to get larger quantities of it.

• The server had anywhere between 60-125 players on at a time, the map was usual and sometimes less than 1k (in blocks), you’ll be surprised how big 1k. The map wouldn’t ever have the graveyard effect, mainly because people where going to be claiming in the area of the map anyway. Not once did claims get crowded. In actual fact you werent able to claim directly next to other claims. Although we did feature map hotspots such as “Shops” and “Ore Fields”. Shops was a safe zone where you could sell farming resources and buy stuff. Fields would be a massive pvp hotspot where you could mine ores that would regenerate back over time as well as farms that would also regenerate back. Generally people would want to claim and build bases near them.

• This server flourished with players for multiple years, and the community began used to the small maps. In fact they’de be outraged if it was any different. I guess if i were to start something similar up again like this, ide have a few issues convincing people about the small map size.

• The spawn would never be camped when i played. It would always be the “hotspots” on the map that would, since the people trying to get to and from there would always have people with loot. Spawn was never touched once you actually forged a clan and had a base.

• Another thing that prevented people who killed what we called “nakeds” was that people with no Armour (nakeds) had a speed boost constantly. Which prevented killing new players.

The whole server was completely custom coded so i mean, there was a lot of features that fixed some of the issues you would face if you chucked the normal factions plugin on a small map.

2 Likes

Sounds similar to your typical factions server, although I like the way you encourage war between clans by limiting space. 1k by 1k seems way too small, if I’d say something like 4k by 4k or 5k by 5k. (Also, what about making the map circular? ^^). As for factions, I’d love to see how you’re planning to solve the “wasteland issue” which basically means claims scattered all over the place and areas near spawn / other prominent points (safezones) being ripped apart and then left like that. Otherwise, I quite like the idea :smiley:

2 Likes

Other than the small map size this seems like a good idea!

That’s one of the major things that would prevent the server from attracting new people. People dont seem to understand why the map is so small. The thing is, clans are supposed to be on the door front of their enemies. Usual base sizes would normally only be 2X2, they’de be built tactically with clever traps or moats surrounding them, as some of the abilities featured ways to pull people in. Small maps create intense pvp, dense pvp and high risk.

I probably should of added that players adapted to the size of the map, people didnt build bases underground! Majority of the base was above!

Being able to defend your base from enemies trying to camp your doors. They couldnt destroy your base, but if they got their hands on TnT than you’de be worried.

TNT was also not cheap, you wouldnt be able to craft it. You could only buy it from shops, and it was very expensive. Only the largest clans that dominated the map were able to get larger quantities of it.

The thrill of being able to leave your base after gearing up and running over to the nearest fight you see. Hoping you’d be able to grab a kill and quickly bank the gear you’ve received. That thrill, that experience, can be experience on regular faction servers with large maps.

I should also mention that it was fairly hard core. You couldnt teleport to players, or have personal homes. You’de only be able to teleport to your clan home after death. Which meant travelling throughout the map to get to where you needed to go. Whether you didnt want to get killed or if you wanted to kill, it was risky.

Wait, just for my understanding, 1k by 1k blocks or chunks?

Map size kind of depends on how many players will be on the server, if it’s not very much, like 30 or less than a 500 to a 1k radius map probably wouldn’t be that bad for a PVP map. Something that is 2-3k radius or larger world would be best for exploration. 3k radius maps has been enough for me most of the time for the maps on my server (I run a small sized server, in player slots on the server.)

1 Like

This sounds like after a month any new players joining would be way Overpowered by the players who been there since the beginning. Also, it seems like it will limit the amount of players overall since even if everyone is side by side, there will come a point in there where there is literally no more room for anything new.

The server had anywhere between 60-125 players on at a time, the map was usual and sometimes less than 1k (in blocks), you’ll be surprised how big 1k. The map wouldn’t ever have the graveyard effect, mainly because people where going to be claiming in the area of the map anyway. Not once did claims get crowded. In actual fact you werent able to claim directly next to other claims. Although we did feature map hotspots such as “Shops” and “Ore Fields”. Shops was a safe zone where you could sell farming resources and buy stuff. Fields would be a massive pvp hotspot where you could mine ores that would regenerate back over time as well as farms that would also regenerate back. Generally people would want to claim and build bases near them.

This server flourished with players for multiple years, and the community began used to the small maps. In fact they’de be outraged if it was any different. I guess if i were to start something similar up again like this, ide have a few issues convincing people about the small map size.

Ya, that would be the biggest issue since now everyone is used to having huge maps and going far out before they do anything.

Yea agreed. Its a real shame though that people immediately judge a particular server based on map size. I mean, even we we were recruiting new players people wouldn’t even bother to play, or even get a feel for it.

Isn’t this a metaphor for society today!

Lol. I’d probably play. But I think I’d hate the spawn-camping… The last thing you need when you just joined a server / died is a bunch of people in diamond gear killing you everytime you try to leave the spawn area.

1 Like

The spawn would never be camped when i played. It would always be the “hotspots” on the map that would, since the people trying to get to and from there would always have people with loot. Spawn was never touched once you actually forged a clan and had a base.

Another thing that prevented people who killed what we called “nakeds” was that people with no Armour (nakeds) had a speed boost constantly. Which prevented killing new players.

The whole server was completely custom coded so i mean, there was a lot of features that fixed some of the more issues you would face if you chucked the normal factions plugin on a small map.