Server crashes while loading the worlds

Two of my servers suddenly won’t start. I’m afraid that I do not know what the cause is.
Please have a look.

The error log:
---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I just don’t know what went wrong :frowning:

Time: 3/25/16 2:58 PM
Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.util.zip.ZipException: Not in GZIP format
	at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readHeader(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at net.minecraft.nbt.CompressedStreamTools.func_74796_a(SourceFile:13)
	at net.minecraft.world.storage.SaveHandler.loadSpongeDatData(SourceFile:122)
	at net.minecraft.world.storage.SaveHandler.onLoadWorldInfoBeforeReturn(SourceFile:51)
	at net.minecraft.world.storage.SaveHandler.func_75757_d(SourceFile:88)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71247_a(SourceFile:393)
	at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(SourceFile:211)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:421)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- System Details --
Details:
	Minecraft Version: 1.8.9
	Operating System: Windows 10 (amd64) version 10.0
	Java Version: 1.8.0_73, Oracle Corporation
	Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
	Memory: 1905939944 bytes (1817 MB) / 2058354688 bytes (1963 MB) up to 2058354688 bytes (1963 MB)
	JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xmx2048M -Xms2048M
	IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
	Plugins: 
		Plugin{id=minecraft, name=Minecraft, version=1.8.9}
		Plugin{id=sponge, name=SpongeVanilla, version=1.8.9-3.1.0-BETA-248}
		Plugin{id=server_backup, name=Server backup, version=1.0, source=mods\Sponge_4.0.1_ServerBackup-1.2.jar}
		Plugin{id=spongeapi, name=SpongeAPI, version=3.1.0-SNAPSHOT-4c0d27c}
		Plugin{id=PvPLogger, name=PvPLogger, version=1.1, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_PvPLogger-1.1.jar}
		Plugin{id=CommandLogger, name=CommandLogger, version=1.0, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_CommandLogger-1.0.0.jar}
		Plugin{id=TreeDestroyage, name=TreeDestroyage, version=0.7, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_TreeDestroyage-0.7-19-all.jar}
		Plugin{id=Polis, name=Polis, version=2.0b, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_Polis-2.0b_Vertaald-1.0.jar}
		Plugin{id=EssentialCmds, name=EssentialCmds, [email protected]@, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_EssentialCMDs-7.5d-KD-Vertaal-1.0.jar}
		Plugin{id=command_scheduler, name=Command Scheduler, version=2.0, source=mods\Sponge_4.0.1_CommandScheduler-2.2.jar}
		Plugin{id=PermissionsEx, name=PermissionsEx, version=2.0-SNAPSHOT, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_PermissionsEx-2.0.jar}
		Plugin{id=CmdKits, name=Command Kits, version=1.0.0, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.1_CommandKits-1.0.0.jar}
		Plugin{id=Keys, name=Keys, version=1.0, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_Keys-1.0.1.jar}
		Plugin{id=CommandSigns, name=CommandSigns, version=0.9, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_CommandSigns-0.9b.jar}
		Plugin{id=Prism, name=Prism, version=3.0, source=mods\Sponge_3.0.0_Prism-3.0.0-beta1-12-gdbdadcd.jar}
	Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
	Player Count: 0 / 60; []
	Is Modded: Definitely; Server brand changed to 'SpongeVanilla'
	Type: Dedicated Server (map_server.txt)

Yours faithfully,
Hiero247

I am no person to ask for these types of things but I know of a trick. You can take out plugins and find the plugins or even the world causing it. This take a bit so do it half and half see what half causes it and half that until you find the problematic plugin. Hope this helps until maybe someone can pinpoint the plugin for you if someone does…

It sounds like one of the worlds has a corrupted level_sponge.dat file. If you can, please zip the worlds up for one of the developers to test. Pinging @Zidane as this is somewhat in his realm of understanding.

1 Like

The server probably didn’t shutdown properly last time it was ran. You could try restoring the level_sponge.dat from a backup if you have one, otherwise delete it and let it re-generate (note: keep a backup before performing any of these operations).

Sponge also takes a backup of the level file on each save of the world. You’ll find it in the same root as the level_sponge.dat file and is called level_sponge.dat_old. Assuming that file isn’t corrupt, do as @simon816 said and backup your current data but, instead, do the following:

Rename level_sponge.dat to level_sponge.dat_bad

Rename level_sponge.dat_old to level_sponge.dat

If this is still corrupt then you’ll need to delete these files and the world implementation will re-create them on first save. Keep in mind this WILL reset most world attributes.

world attributes such as?

@SnowBlitzz

Off the top of my head, Sponge level data has the World UUID, loadOnStartup, DimensionType (OVERWORLD | NETHER | THE END | etc), enabled.