⛄ Winter Wonderland ~ Winter fun for your server!

Winter Wonderland

Winter Wonderland is a plugin that adds winter fun to your server! Wherever you walk, you leave a snow trail behind you, and snow particles are always at your feet!

###So what exactly does this plugin do?

Winter Wonderland will do exactly two things to your server:

1. Spawn snow particles below a player’s feet when walking
  2. Wherever a player walks, they will leave a snow trail behind
  • The snow is temporary, and disappears after 2.5 seconds
  • The snow is special, and will not drop snowballs when it is broken

Suggestions are apprectiated, so feel free reply with any ideas you have for this plugin!

###I downloaded Winter Wonderland, but nothing changed on my server!

Winter Wonderland is a special plugin. Its features are only enabled certain days in the year. On December 18th, Winter Wonderland will automagically enable on your server! The features will disappear on January 1st, only to be seen again at the same time next year! Winter Wonderland can be configured to be always enabled.

###This plugin sounds cool! Where can I download it?

You can find the download link directly below!

###What are all of the configuration options and commands?

Commands:

/winter - Disables snow placement for the player who ran the command

Permission: winter.toggle

Configuration:

File Location: config/WinterWonderland/config.conf

Set ignore-date to enabled if you want Winter Wonderland to be always enabled.

Set default-trail-value to enabled if you want trails to be enabled by default, or disabled if you want trails to be disabled by default.

Modify the value snow-delay-ticks to set the delay in ticks for how long trail snow takes to disappear.

:inbox_tray: Download Winter Wonderland

:tools: Development Builds

:wrench: Source Code

:heavy_dollar_sign: Like my work? Please Consider Supporting Me!

3 Likes

You should make this configurable to be honest.

2 Likes

Good point. I’ll add an option to have it enabled all the time.

EDIT:

There is now a version of Winter Wonderland available that is always enabled, no matter what the date is. It is available on the download page.

Sweet. Does this overwrite blocks or cause any damage, Especially with redstone. What happens then?

The plugin will only place snow if there is nothing on the block. It will not override redstone, grass, torches, or any other block.

On a side note: If you place something over the snow within the 2.5 seconds before it disappears, it will not remove that block.

2 Likes

Im having a problem with slabs and stairs. Snow places on stairs and sometimes its difficult to get up and on slabs when you jump snow is placed on the slabs also.

I have two GIFs for better understanding:

Slabs

Stairs

1 Like

I see, thanks for letting me know! I’ll block the plugin from placing snow on stairs/slabs!

Thanks! Also is it possible to as a toggle command for players?

I’ll release the fixed version first, but then I will add the command.

Winter Wonderland v1.0.1 is now available!

• Fixed a minor issue where snow was being placed on stairs and slabs

Downloads, source code, and more are available at the top of this topic.

Winter Wonderland v1.0.2 is now available!

• Updated to the latest Sponge version

You really should add a config file for your plugin instead of building two separate versions. Makes everyone’s life a lot easier.

I thought about doing this, but decided to go with two different JAR files for simplicity. No configuration necessary. Winter Wonderland is meant to be just dropped into your mods / plugins folder and just simply work with no extra files being generated.

I was more thinking that you should have a config so that people can specify their own start and end dates. I mean, people in Australia are a thing. It’s always better to have a config file then to have people downloading multiple versions. As a former long term public server admin I can tell you that one of the things that I found kind of annoying was mods and plugins that had extremely limited configuration. Server admins and owners are control freaks. x3

I have to agree! It probably is a good idea! I didn’t forget about the people in the southern hemisphere! So, I will probably be adding it at some point!

I just tried this plugin on SF880 and SF884 and it seems that snow is only spawned when walking through water. Is this intentional? (Dont think so :smiley: ). I used the always on version 1.0.2

No, it should be never on water. I’ll take a look at that!

Edit:

Winter Wonderland v1.0.3 is now available!

• Fixed snow being placed on water/lava in the latest Sponge builds

2 Likes

Just tested it on SF880 and it works as intended. Thanks for the fast update :smile:

1 Like

Don’t use the CopyOnWriteArrayList. A normal ArrayList is fine.

CopyOnWriteArrayLists are extremely processor intensive, and can cause a lot of lag on servers.

You don’t need to worry about concurrency issues as the current implementation of Sponge uses a single main thread.

Good point, I’ll take a look at that! I’m used to using CopyOnWriteArrayLists because I make some of my plugins multi-threaded.