So, this is Sponge

Hello everybody! I am brand spanking new to the Sponge forums and new to the Sponge API overall. Could someone please explain to me exactly what sponge is? I am not completely sure and am a humongous noob.
So, I get this is kind of like Spigot in a way, right? Please correct me if i’m wrong. I get this has plugins and such, but is just starting out. Well, once this foundation gets built up more, I would want to switch to Sponge, step out of your comfort zone, right?

Thanks guys for taking the time to read, and I would like to introduce myself. I am xieso, nice to meet you all here over at Sponge forums :smile:

3 Likes

Im sure there are a lot of more well qualified people to answer you. Ill just sum it up as I know it. Sponge can be ran with plugins, yes. It can be used with forge or own its own (using the yet unreleased, but build-able and usable SpongeVanilla). So you can run your forge mods + sponge plugins! It is fairly new and there are a few good plugins so far. And you wont find a more helpful or caring minecraft community around! So welcome and I hope you find everything you need to get started.

Thanks man, I really appreciate the nice welcome! Also, thank you for summing up Sponge for me.

:smiley:

Hiya, and welcome to the Sponge Project!
To save us repeating a lot of things, here’s a link to the Sponge Documentation - which covers the who, what and how of Sponge in reasonable detail: https://docs.spongepowered.org/

In a nutshell, Sponge is a new Minecraft API, and a pair of implementations - Sponge (aka SpongeForge, relying on Minecraft Forge) and SpongeVanilla, a stand-alone. They’re still heavily in development, and alpha releases of SpongeForge are available.

Have a read of the SpongeDocs, and feel free to bombard us with questions afterwards :wink:

2 Likes

Will definitely do! Thanks for the welcoming! :smile:

1 Like

Sponge has an API (for developers)
Sponge is a mod on forge
Sponge also has a server over vanilla, but I’m not too familiar with how that works.

Thanks for clarifying. :slight_smile:

Welcome to Sponge Forums, also nice Pepe.

Effectively the same way as the forge one forge. Both platforms work basically the same way from a technical standpoint it’s just that the forge version doesn’t implement things which are already provided by forge and instead uses forge’s already-existing things, eg. dimension manager, event bus, etc.

In a nutshell, both implementations are actually mods for the game, one just mods the vanilla game and the other mods on top of forge. It’s a bit confusing because the term “mod” is used in a bunch of different ways in different situations, the forge version is not a “forge mod” per se, it’s actually a Tweaker which is forge-aware, the vanilla implementation is - likewise - just a Tweaker which is designed to work with the base (non-forge-modded) game.

You might be thinking that this unified approach will make it possible in the future to have a single sponge jar which can work as both, and that’s something which is being considered too and may eventually happen, it depends on a couple of other factors.

If you’re interested in what a Tweaker is, I’ve written about it in the LiteLoader documentation here

3 Likes

I don’t like this comparison myself, but maybe it helps you to get yourself started on Sponge:

Sponge API is like Bukkit API - an API to mod Minecraft (but Sponge is NOT compatible to Bukkit!)
SpongeVanilla is like a Bukkit Server - It can run plugins on Vanilla Minecraft
SpongeForge is Like a Bukkit Server - BUT can run plugins AND Forgemods too

So SpongeForge = SpongeVanilla + Forgemod support

^ while this explanation might be somewhat incorrect on the technical/code side, that’s the most simple explanation i could think of. Please note that throwing Bukkit plugins at Sponge won’t (and will never) work.

A better comparison would be SpongeForge is like Cauldron.

2 Likes

That just cleared things up for me as well. Thanks for your work @mumfrey on both sponge and liteloader. I couldnt function without keybinds and macros!

Welcome to sponge! Nice meeting you.