[Solved] Random Int

Hello Everyone, I’ve been trying to generate a random int to execute a class file AutomatedLightningTimer() by a random amount of seconds (10 -1), but the random int generator executes only once and executes the AutomatedLightningTimer() class by the same amount of seconds. Is there a way to continue to execute the randomInt() so that the AutomatedLightningTimer() class executes at a random second (1 -10)?Thanks!

@Listener
public void postInit (GamePostInitializationEvent event){

//Automated Lightning Striker
	Scheduler scheduler = Sponge.getScheduler();
    Task.Builder taskBuilder = scheduler.createTaskBuilder();
    Task task = taskBuilder.execute(new AutomatedLightningTimer())
        .interval(RandomInt.randomInt(), TimeUnit.SECONDS).submit(this);
}

public class RandomInt {

public static long randomInt() {

int random = new Random().nextInt(10);

return random;
	}

}

What I would do is instead of running a repeating task, create a run once task that executes AutomatedLightningTimer and inside AutomatedLightningTimer create a new delayed task after finishing whatever logic that also executes AutomatedLightningTimer, essentially creating a loop, but giving you the opportunity to set a new random interval between executions

@Listener
public void postInit (GamePostInitializationEvent event){
	Sponge.getScheduler().createTaskBuilder().execute(new AutomatedLightningTimer()).submit(this);
}

public class AutomatedLightningTimer implements Consumer<Task> {

@Override
	public void accept(Task t) {
		// DO FUN STUFF
		// DO MORE FUN STUFF

Sponge.getScheduler().createTaskBuilder().execute(new AutomatedLightningTimer()).delay(ThreadLocalRandom.current().nextInt(10), TimeUnit.SECONDS).submit(YOUR MAIN CLASS);
	}
}
1 Like

Thanks! The code you provided is definitely a lot cleaner than what I had in mind.

Actually to clean it more replace

Sponge.getScheduler().createTaskBuilder()

With this

Task.builder()

1 Like

and replace a separate class with a method and a :: ref, or the whole thing with a lambda

2 Likes