Sponge LLC FAQ

“When its done” :wink:

Good read, did it with animal cookies!

On another note I’m just sitting here silently wishing I had the money to support this…

3 Likes

NPOs can form partnerships. WWF (world wildlife fund) has a partnership with coca-cola.

Will the charter be published?

Question #9. Misspelling unless a DCMA is suddenly a thing.

1 Like

That was more a light-hearted jab to further decrease the perception of serious surrounding what I believe to be a brilliant move. That said I can respect the professionalism of actually correcting it (rare to see in this era of lazy open source communities).

Off topic:
As soon as I get the go ahead from the good folks over at the Glowstone project I will be forking the project to accommodate the Sponge API instead of the Bukkit API as they do currently. GS isn’t currently stable enough to be used as a primary server software, but I believe that Sponge on Glowstone is the future of MC servers and the modding thereof.

1 Like

This.

As far as the LLC’ing SpongePowered goes, I can’t see a more responsible decision being made. I feel much better knowing that any donations I send in will be, by law, wisely spent by the company that receives it. Funnily enough, I didn’t even realize I was uneasy, before. :smile:

Also, a more organized system for governing committees, project spending, etc sounds pretty good to me.

EDIT: Maybe you guys should form a committee that deals with weekly updates on the project? :smiley:

1 Like

I can’t express how sexy those bylaws are. I do have a few (somewhat minor) concerns:

1. In the case that the permanent members are unable to be reached is there a system in place to pass their responsibilities to the members. It seems like a minor thing, but if you both became Amish suddenly it would damage the LLC and potentially the Sponge project as a whole. Just something to put some thought into as there isn’t a perfect solution to be had (although there are a few decent ones).

2. “Members of the OSPF shall not disclose personal information about the members (names, addresses, phone numbers, and other personal identifying information) to any party unless required to do so by order of a Court.” Should include a statment about consent being acceptable as well otherwise even agreed upon sharing of personal information would be a violation of the bylaws.

3. The point above that one mentions quarterly reports, but I was under the impression that monthly reports were the goal. Is that simply a matter of creating a buffer for any unforeseen delays?

4. Partners are granted the ability to create new committees without a vote or confirmation of the need for such committees. I believe the current partners wouldn’t cause any harm, but having that restriced in some way would be beneficial (especially as you are giving such committees the right to “conduct business ad-hoc”).

All that said IANAL and if your lawyer created this than who am I to question the structure.

My apologies. I wrote that shortly after waking up and for some reason I was putting it under the same abusive microscope I would with a corporate charter (if it was the first thing I read that morning). I also see now that I had a tone that made my reply seem confrontational when my intent was to be light-hearted and playful. I apologize for not taking better care to convey the right feeling with that reply.

That said I appreciate you still choosing to respond in a professional manner as it says a lot about you as a person. Sponge has my full support and I would hate to create bad blood over a simple misunderstanding :smiley:.

1 Like

Can I order an at-home reminder for this upcoming SoS?