Sponge Scripting Language Syntax?

Sorry, I just have to be that guy, Lua*. (Lua is actually a name, not an Acronym).

Lua is probably one of the most versitile scripting languages there is. It’s also one of the simplest for those unfamiliar with programming as a whole. In my experience, the best source of information is the [roblox wiki][1], since it’s one of the oldest and most mature implementations of Lua, that has a massive player base. That said, it is not a easy language to learn, however it is one of the best gateway languages, allowing for basic understanding of how programming works, and simple use. If I wanted to hypothetically use Lua to capture an event using roblox’s structure all I have to do is this:

function OnPlayerJoin(Player)
Player.SendMessage(“Hello, World!”)
end
PlayerJoinedEvent:connect(OnPlayerJoin)

While this can be optimized even further, I’m a huge advocate for those not knowledgeable in programming for use of a scripting language. But, I think they should at least learn a basic reusable programming language.

(For my use of the words Programming and Scripting, for Lua, they are interchangeable. The Lua website has it in their Head tag as Programming, and in their actual site as Scripting. There are standalone variants of Lua, and embedded variants)
[1]: http://wiki.roblox.com

2 Likes