Sponge Status Update – 2nd November 2015

Discourse all the way for me I been using it privately for around 18months and love the clean look. It does have its problems navigation being one of the biggest but I think that the time for a migration could be spent improving discourse.

For example adding polls to the forum be nice there are a couple of plugins for discourse that will do this already

For navigation some static links to the docs for example could be added to the top bar like in sitepoint forum (also discoure) http://community.sitepoint.com/ there theme can be found here for a code example: GitHub - sitepoint/discourse-theme

One of sponge features is that it is opensource and is contributing to the wide community with technologies such as mixins so I would hate that it went to a close source platform just to host the forum

Just to throw in another forum software into the mix is to have a look at http://flarum.org opensource has the same clean look as discourse rich api being developed and is written in php. Since it is php rather then ruby (Discourse) it might be easier to develop any add-on plugin that is missing. Its still in beta so might have come a bit too soon for us to switch but if its a choice between Discourse or Xenforo I put my money with discourse.

1 Like

To be honest, I think Discourse has kind of made it’s mark on Sponge. It wouldn’t feel the same if we switched over.

Thanks for the Status Update, folks. <3

5 Likes

I prefer Discourse.

• Cleaner look
  • Automatic page loading when you scroll
  • Better mobile support
1 Like

Personally I vote XenForo. Sure it may not be free but they can get away with charging because of the functionality and features it offers over competition. Discourse is nice but it’s still very young and has its list of quirks.

I like discourse. I like minimalism. I like it when software does exactly one thing and does it well, and I feel discourse is doing the whole “allow people to discuss things” well. Personally I’m not a fan of something having a bazillion extra features. And since we appear to have some users familiar with discourse, we might even get our very own plugins if we really need that feature.

5 Likes

I’m very much in the Discourse camp myself. XenForo and other forum software seem quite bloated to me, and I’m really not keen on the idea that Sponge, a project that has really been pushing the open source, open communication, open development ethos would use a piece of software that is closed to improvements from the community - something others have noted. Unlike with XenForo, there is nothing stopping Sponge making changes to Discourse and then making them available to all to use, should the need arise. Yes, Discourse has it’s problems, but so does XenForo, and the advantage is that we all have the ability to help resolve those issues, either on the Sponge side, or upstream, and not have to wait for a commercial company to release the patch.

I also agree with @FerusGrim - Discourse has made it’s mark on Sponge. XenForo feels very “bukkit-y” to me and would feel like it would represent a step back.

(I also like the fact that there are no flashy signatures in the way that breaks up the chat. That really irks me on other forums!)

5 Likes

I like discourse too :slight_smile: pretty much for the same reasons that everyone else is saying

• mobile support
  • minimalist design

Keep up the good work. :smiley:

Looks like Discourse is getting a lot of love here ^^
I gotta say I’d prefer Discourse as well. It looks nice and is easy to use.
Plus I like open source stuff.

An open source project should be accompanied by other pieces of open source software.

10 Likes

I would say stick with discourse. Its working fine now and there is no need to change so suddenly.

So I guess the community is primarily pro-Discourse?

If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

I do like Discourse, though. To me, Xenforo just seems clunky and outdated.

4 Likes

Please fix ore as soon as possible… Thanks.

Ore is very much still in development, if you’d like it to be working sooner you can always submit a pull request at GitHub - SpongePowered/Ore: Repository software for Sponge plugins and Forge mods

1 Like

Technically Ore isn’t broken, it’s just not done :wink:
If you know python and feel you can help out, just ask gratimax.
He’ll tell you how to help or where he can make good use of you :wink:

I like what we are currently using, it’s neat and different.

La verdad me gusta como esto esta avanzando. ademas para mi, que soy un estudiante en ingenieria en informatica, sera divertido practicar creando plugins para SpongeForge o vanilla .
:smile:

Translation:

I like how this is progressing. I am a Computer Engineering student, and it will be fun to practice making plugins for SpongeForge or vanilla.

2 Likes

I’ve been away for a while now. Several things have come up in the last months, directing my time and patience towards other projects. However, I would like to congratulate the whole team for not stopping developing the most amazing API that Minecraft has seen :smile:

By the way, I’m in college now. I’m studying Electrical Engineering @FEUP. This is also a factor that consumes my time… I will, however, keep translating the docs to Portuguese, as I believe there are a lot of people who can benefit from it.

Big up everyone!

2 Likes

I personally HATE xenforo, this is because it looks like something from 2010 then 2015. I would pick Discourse any day for it being open source and under MIT and the fact is it’s free. The work needed to transfer the current forum is worth the hassle and possible problems.

####Stick with Discourse!

1 Like