Sponge vs Rainbow

Cauldron aka MCPC+ is able to do that. But of course finding downloads will be a quest.

I know - I use a version of Cauldron currently. The point is that Spigot will not kill Sponge because Sponge will work with Forge.

I wanted to say ty HeirOfChairs

you did exactly what i wanted you to do.

You think i worry about the future.
I love you sponge people very predictable.
Thx for pointing out Rainbow is the only server software running 1.8 with plugins.
Keep up the good work.

Ahh okay I see! Yeah especially since Cauldron isn’t dead yet and iirc Sponge will eventually be a successor to Cauldron.

?? I never said you’re worried for the future. How did you get that impression? I even pointed out how it was unprofessional to assume it’ll never die out.

And the part about it being the only 1.8. server is the truth. What else would I say? Just because something is the only thing out there doesn’t mean it’s great. Mcdonalds could be the only restaurant in town but that doesn’t mean it’s any good. It’s just the only option available. Speed does not equal quality.

And I’m not sure what part of my reply was so “predictable”.

I think that it’s sad that people can’t see that Microsoft isn’t the devil of gaming. Mojang still exists, it’s just owned by Microsoft now.

By stereotyping it into a Microsoft vs. The Community type of issue, you make people that don’t know the situation angry or scared. It also just fuels more hate of a company that most would say isn’t actually a bad company in comparison to the other similarly sized tech companies. What else are we supposed to compare them against? Small companies without the same kinds of demands?

However you do have a point about the EULA, unless Mojang says “Sponge is cool, servers using sponge get to bypass provisions X,Y and Z of our EULA”, then we don’t get to enforce anything less than Mojang’s existing EULA. We can make additional conditions as long as those additional conditions don’t break the EULA provided by Mojang.

Since the whole point of the EULA is really about stuff that modded servers do, and preventing more than trivial rewards or full separation of paid vs. free, it seems unlikely that a project trying to become the successor to CraftBukkit would be given any sort of exception.

1 Like

I’ve made a topic with a similar goal, if anyone would like to contribute there please do.

Spigot: dmca’d code but no need to find new plugins. Easy update and nice performance.
Sponge: safe code, but need to find new plugins. Forge mod support
Rainbow: need to find new plugins and contains Mojang code.

I have nothing against Rainbow but what advantage will it provide when Spigot and Sponge are released?

2 Likes
but need to find new plugins

how you can say that about something that is even complete yet?

Well, not exactly need to find new plugins, but plugins need to be ported / rewritten, as the API is definitely quite different from the others (Bukkit, …)

2 Likes

By experience i did like to say it would be a good thing if sponge + rainbow + spigot still alive all three.
All three are ( will ) offering different mechanics all admin may use depending of what they want to build in the futur.
I made a game design document for a futur project and the answer is definitively sponge cause i will need a mod support.

If tommorow i want to do a server with only plugins i will probably choose spigot cause they always did a great job so far and i support them cause they made my old server far better in term of performances by the past.
No need to mention the work they are doing with bungee too.

And for now i tend to say rainbow is the one who gave us a chance to start before others API are ready.
Rainbow may considered as a challenger with no futur but they deserve more fair-play answers for that, and they may offer in the futur a different way than spigot & sponge who know ?

About Microsoft i can’t understand why peoples hate them so much ? May you could use google a bit … Microsoft made more than thousands of studios about the gaming community and still doing it.

Any time something happens to Minecraft, the community falls into chaos.

3 Likes

But I think people will rebel though if something happens to Minecraft. For example, when Mojang was talking about that new EULA and stuff, some people started to DDos the Mojang servers. If Minecraft gets F***ed over, it might be for both Mojang and Microsoft who gets DDos’d.

Microsoft has DDos Protection.

You really think anyone could take down MS by DDos? Not likely.

1 Like

And, as DDossing is illegal, it will probably only give more troubles. Microsoft could create Minecraft 2 with C++ and modding preventation. We don’t want to give it a reason to do that.

Should we stay in original topic?

I agree get back on topic

The main issue with Rainbow is it contains decompiled code directly taken from the Minecraft Server jar. Heck it contains a LOT of code directly taken from Mojang. It’s in clear breach of the EULA and will likely be taken down by Mojang or Mincrosoft (once they take over).

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Try Microsoft (Sorry it bugged me too much)

4 Likes