Sponge XenForo

Just noticed, if the user has no javascript discourse doesnā€™t compensate (or not well at least)

Image: (once you refresh it becomes actual page structure)

I believe that is <noscript> tags being glitchy

1 Like

cannot reproduce

Just kidding, I do see the issue - and the bug is Chromeā€™s. Do another refresh and itā€™s fixed.

2 Likes

Pretty much every forum software mentioned as an alternative to Discourse sucks.

Iā€™ve worn many forum hats, and by far I feel that Discourse is the best forum platform Iā€™ve seen, despite being written in Ruby.

This is coming from a current esoTalk and XenForo user.

3 Likes

While I like XenForo, I find Discourse a very nice alternative and have considered switching to it for my hobby project forum.

I think that Sponge Powered should be somewhat original. I know people are used to Xenforo and Bukkit, but Sponge should have an identity of itā€™s own. Discourse is simple, almost too simple and not very pretty, but it has itā€™s potential and is definitely original at least in the Minecraft community.

I think we should keep Discourse but perhaps play around with the CSS, get some photoshoppers to design a template and a Coder to implement it.

5 Likes

This and this. Already on it. :slight_smile:

Xenforo is a great forums software, but I think Sponge should be somewhat original. It will take some time to get used to this, but so far I like it.

I do wish that the colour scheme was a bit different. I find some of the text difficult to read. In terms of features I like some of the new features that Discourse is offering.

I am used to XenForo but Discourse looks quite interesting.

2 Likes

Yea, I have to agree with everyone stating that while XenForo is good, Iā€™m personally quite liking this Discourse software. My only wish is that like others have said, it had a dark theme so it would match the rest of my stuff.

This discussion has been done to death over at discourse meta. I think itā€™s important to note that the Discourse team is addressing criticisms head on rather than ignoring them entirely.

Ruby is far superior in scalability, agility, programmability, etc. when compared to, for example, PHP or C#, but Iā€™m not about to start that discussion.

@riking appears to be an intern for discourse, which means sponge potentially has a lot of sway in the future development of discourse. :thumbsup:

There are a couple css issues that crop up when you apply a dark color scheme to discourse. It may have been fixed by now. Iā€™m not sure. :question:

1 Like

Iā€™m really enjoying Discourse as a whole. Everything seems oddly organisedā€¦ but I like it.

I actually finished a few weeks ago :slight_smile:

4 Likes

this forum is better then the other forums.

This forum software is quite annoying. Itā€™s hard to use for me, very cluttered.

1 Like

Like few times until now, I need to to draw attention to one important aspect to any discussion you start. Please try to put yourself in shoes of different people/visitors when you are giving a ā€œqualified expert opinionā€.

Most of comments here (and in the other similar topics) are basically ā€œI like this one better, other sucks!ā€.

Cā€™mon guys. If you already have polarized your members about certain questions (like in this case), you should address those questions more seriously. If the usage of basic tools, like forum software, is causing the discomfort to considerable number of people, think if the selection of more traditional solutions might not caused more than ā€œIā€™m bored; itā€™s not modern; itā€™s uglyā€ reactions. I believe that it is easier to live with something not-exciting than with something hard to use (if at all).

Please remember, a massive numbers of people will only start coming once the project starts delivering. If you get too deep into experimental things which proved to be an obstacle even for more tech savvy people, it will be too late when these masses starts coming for changing anything fundamental.

Just my two cents.

Iā€™ve only brought up IPB if they wanted a more of a social network type forums source, which you canā€™t pull off with most free forum sources(statuses, music on profiles, etc) without writing out the code yourself and hoping of not breaking it.

MyBB has a lot of great plugins/add-ons but itā€™s not very easy to work with(I had a lot of issues installing it and once I finally got it setup I found out my host blocked a certain part of PHP so it wasnā€™t even able to run).

Discourage is fine and I think it can work for now, but for plugin advertisement I donā€™t think this source will work as well so unless they create a seperate directory(i.e dev.spongepowered.org) & a different setup, itā€™d be hard to search for plugins.

Just my two cents, thinking about normal users vs lurkers who just want plugins then leave until they need another(like I used to be).

i have an idea do so people can change the theme example They click On themes then its all themes you want to the web!

In defense of PHP, Ruby and PHP are as similar to what you listed as Python and Ruby, and Python and PHP. They all require fast hardware for good performance(not exceptional performance), plus Ruby does not support true multithreading, and PHP requires some multi threading support. Any integrated language will be slow compared to a compiled language so you choose the lesser of two evils for the project and what works best for it. In my opinion i wouldnā€™t of chose Ruby for the reason of speed(even though this can be debated). Not meaning to start an argument, but I donā€™t want people to be misled that PHP is a bad language haha.

I donā€™t really like Discourseā€¦
XenForo would be great, but IPB or vBulletin to.

1 Like