Sponge XenForo

Oh great, enter the Xenforo fanboys. blech. :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess I only like XenForo because iā€™m used to seeing it on a large amount of Minecraft related sites. This is the first time I have come across Discourse and I really like it and It feels a lot more modern. Iā€™m still learning to use it but once you know where everything is then it appears to work really well so I quite like this too.

2 Likes

Totally agree. This is one of the most finely designed forums that Iā€™ve come across. First time Iā€™ve used Discourse too and I do like it a lot. :smile:

Being someone who is out and about a lot I like discourse as in my personal opinion it has a really nice mobile layout and everything is responsive and works well.

9 Likes

How about SimpleMachines?

1 Like

Just checked it out and have to say I personally prefer the modern design of Discourse. Itā€™s light on the front, but yet, just as powerful as most other forums. The badges and stuff are fun too and encourage interaction among the community.

Please, please be jokingā€¦ SMFā€¦ really? SIMPLE forums? We dont want simple! We want DISCOURSE! lol

1 Like

I honestly prefer this to xenforo it feels smother and cleaner. I also prefer the mobile formatting

1 Like

* you

I must say, I absolutely hate the scrolling. Go to the top/bottom, almost therā€¦ nope! But now surā€¦ ah man! It just doesntā€™ work for browsers.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, are there spoilers (collapsing text) on Discourse? Thats possibly the only thing I havenā€™t figured out.

[spoiler]The spoiler plugin does fuzzing text, which honestly doesnā€™t work too well for images.[/spoiler]

However, if you're comfortable writing html, (click to expand)you can use the `
SpoilerText text text
` construction.
3 Likes

I dont know. Seems to be a lot of DISCOURSE about the issue. :smiley:

4 Likes

Lol! I see what you did there!

thatā€™s because Discourse works off of plugins, much like minecraft. :slight_smile: currently this Discourse is almost at basic, but a few plugins added in, you would be surprised. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just noticed, if the user has no javascript discourse doesnā€™t compensate (or not well at least)

Image: (once you refresh it becomes actual page structure)

I believe that is <noscript> tags being glitchy

1 Like

cannot reproduce

Just kidding, I do see the issue - and the bug is Chromeā€™s. Do another refresh and itā€™s fixed.

2 Likes

Pretty much every forum software mentioned as an alternative to Discourse sucks.

Iā€™ve worn many forum hats, and by far I feel that Discourse is the best forum platform Iā€™ve seen, despite being written in Ruby.

This is coming from a current esoTalk and XenForo user.

3 Likes

While I like XenForo, I find Discourse a very nice alternative and have considered switching to it for my hobby project forum.

I think that Sponge Powered should be somewhat original. I know people are used to Xenforo and Bukkit, but Sponge should have an identity of itā€™s own. Discourse is simple, almost too simple and not very pretty, but it has itā€™s potential and is definitely original at least in the Minecraft community.

I think we should keep Discourse but perhaps play around with the CSS, get some photoshoppers to design a template and a Coder to implement it.

5 Likes