SpongeDocs Review and Planning

The 3 pull requests will only be the beginning :wink:

Ask some people from the API team to look at the PRs, they are familiar with the code.

We also badly need Norwegian reviewers! If you’re fluent in Norwegian and feel like helping out, PM me here or on Transifex and I’ll add you to the team! :slight_smile:

I vote 4 u. I don’t have the time to do a lot of translating (I think I’ll start with the translation to Python xD). Your PR on custom events seems quite solid :wink:

I agree with this thing of the Super-Technical words that are very difficult to translate properly due to a lack of a context, that someone else said a few replies above.

In my case, for example, I don’t know java, php or mysql although I do know css and html but there are this words that should come with some type of description so we can understand what’s going on and translate it correctly, especially for concepts or expressions.

Yup. Out of context translation is very difficult.
If we had the translated docs available and could edit it properly, checking the common thread (hope this was the correct translation for german: “roter faden”) of the pages would be easier.
Fully automated build of the translated and reviewed Transifex pages would be very helpful too (if its possible to configure transifex or readthedocs this way?!).

I know the current priority of the Devs is the implementation but don’t forget the docs :wink:

Just open 2 windows, one for the english doc page, one for transifex. If you don’t know how to translate a word, don’t try it. Someone else will see the missing translation and translate it properly.

Also, I recommend everyone to get a spellcheck browser extension…

Maybe this would help:

2 Likes

Weeeelll. Read up on ze words? That’s how it works in the business itsself ^^

+1 for a docs subforum and maybe one thread per language.
Nomination of the reviewers could happen there. Saves time of the sponge devs and makes life of the translators easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello there !
I’m currently working on a public server project (with special mods - that I’m currently doing - and plugins - that I will do with sponge API - ), but I will need Sponge for the plugins ! (Because Sponge seems to be the best project for what I’m searching for) So I think helping the project is a good Idea.

What can I do ? I’m french, and I’m a I.T. Student. So :

• I think I can help for the french translation. I’m not the best in English, but It’s easier to translate from another language to our mother-language than the opposite. And I can also control the correctness of translations too. I’m not the best in french orthography and grammar, but I think can do something better than the average french people.
  • I think I’m not to bad in java (Objects, Interfaces, Exceptions and things like that are in my abilities), but I don’t have a lots of experience… So I maybe could help in Java too.
    (I also know a lot about HTML and CSS, and a bit about PhP, but I think it’s less useful)

P.S.: I just wan’t to warn you that I really want to help but I have an other project nearby, and I have my studies too, so I can’t give to much time (Something like… 3~6H per week).
P.P.S.: Sorry for my bad English

I’ve seen as a reviewer that some people use Google Translation, or any other translation software without correcting correctly, so I tell you PLEASE CORRECT YOUR CHAINS ! I don’t blame people who use a translation software, but I blame guys who doesn’t know how to use it really.

Thank you, Blopblorg

5 Likes

There is a sort-of-forum attached to Transifex too, but it is difficult to navigate. I’ve used it recently for the first time, but I think having discussions here on Sponge Forums would be better. Setting this up might get delayed until after the State-of-Sponge meeting, as there’s lots of scurrying behind the scenes to prepare for it.

If there are problems with technical translations, or you don’t understand the meaning of a word or phrase, please ask. Here, the TF forums, or on IRC (#spongedocs). I’d be very surprised if we didn’t have someone handy who can give better definitions for the weirder words.

Definitely +++ on the idea of a subforum for Docs and Translations, it seems likely to generate heavy traffic.

[quote=“Inscrutable, post:26, topic:5620, full:true”]State-of-Sponge meeting
[/quote]
Cant wait :slight_smile:

For all those who want to help, please sign up at Transifex, then join the language team(s) of your choice.

I appreciate all the feedback, it’s really encouraging to see all this. SpongeDocs is a small part of the Sponge ecosystem, but a vibrant one. Thank you all.

Transifex Staff: I’ve done some promoting on Transifex already, there is probably more to come. I hope it helps to resolve the reviewing problems. Feel free to look at the English source on GitHub too, and make issues or PR’s if you see things that need attention.

1 Like

Translating into spanish

Okay I will be joining the dutch review team. Now I can finally contribute to the Sponge project :smiley:

2 Likes

I can help translate to Hebrew

I’m a Java Dev, been wanting to contribute to sponge for a while. I’d be willing to look at a few code samples and such to check for possible errors. (Mostly would be cross referencing wit the JavaDocs since I don’t have the API Memorized). I’d also be willing to write a few articles on development, as I’ve noticed a distinct lack of tutorials of the very basics on there (Basic structure of the Main class, IDE Usage, etc).

2 Likes

Look at docs.spongepowered.org

The documentation is hosted on GitHub. Create a fork, work on it and submit pull requests.

I’m another person who works in the Catalan translation, but recently I not have much free time.

We read.

I’m working on the French translation, but I see a lots of translation which are really bad but which are sometimes “verified” by someone and I can’t change the translation…
Sometimes the translator doesn’t know what it is and can’t translate it like “Sponge Builds” which was traduced like “development of Sponge” (FR “Développement de Sponge”)… Tell me if I’m wrong but for me a Sponge Build is a version of Sponge (after applying patches and recompiling the code).
So my question is : what is the best thing I can do in this case ? I did try to suggest my translation but I’m not sure they will see and understand my suggestion…