SpongeVanilla for 1.9

Since Minecraft 1.9 is coming out on Monday, I was wondering how soon SpongeVanilla is coming out. I know that it will take a while for SpongeForge to be updated (Forge is so slow on updates), but depending on how the Commons are written, I don’t know about SpongeVanilla. Also, I have no idea about how Sponge is even written, so don’t crush me just for that. Please note that I am not one of those crazy people who thinks that programming is easy, I have written a lot of stuff myself.

TheNewJavaman/GStuff

If i remember, i read somewhere that SpongeForge is the priority when new features are being added, so my guess is, is that SpongeForge will need to be updated before Vanilla does. I maybe wrong but thats just my understanding

1 Like

Nooo! Okay, thanks.

One of the advantages of SpongeVanilla is that it can be updated much more quickly than SpongeForge, the latter of which relies of Forge to be updated. Once the MCP mappings are released for 1.9, we can get to work updating SpongeVanilla.

At the moment, there’s no ETA on either update, but you can expect SpongeVanilla for 1.9 to be available much sooner than SpongeForge.

3 Likes

What a relief! You guys at Sponge are the best.

You’re correct - however, that’s more true once both SpongeForge and SpongeVanilla are on the same minecraft version. Since SpongeForge relies on Forge being updated, we can’t start updating it until Forge for 1.9 comes out.

So how long does it generally take for the Minecraft mappings to come out? I’m just a bit interested on your experience on this.

I’m the wrong person to ask, as I’m fairly new to the minecraft development community, especially compared to some of the other people working on Sponge :slight_smile: . As such, I can’t really comment on how they usually take to come out.

However. I do believe that the mappings will be out before Forge has updated to 1.9.

1 Like

I don’t know about Forge, but Sponge have said that it should be easy to update to new builds of Minecraft after Forge is released because of how well they programmed the Mixin stuff, so im guessing Sponge would be 1-2 days after the forge release. Maybe more.

Spigot on the other hand said they will release there version of 1.9 today or tomorrow … that was before 1.9 was delayed to the 29th, so my guess is the 5th/6th for there release.

As I understand things:

Spigot are able to update so quickly because they (as far as I know) are not using MCP mappings, instead using their own which have been created while the prereleases have been available. That means they’ve been able to update CraftBukkit according to the prereleases for a couple weeks or so.

Both Sponge implementations and Forge itself depend on MCP mappings being available first, so version upgrade hasn’t started on those (unless Sponge heads have an unreleased build of MCP).

Once MCP is released, SpongeVanilla and Forge can both update to 1.9. Only once Forge is released can SpongeForge then upgrade.

But remember that SpongeForge and SpongeVanilla have 90% of their code in common, so all the effort spent to release SpongeVanilla will indirectly go into to releasing SpongeForge too.

That’s about as far as I’ve gotten as well. Thanks, @Aaron1011 as well!

SoS for March 1.